• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window perf and one way vision..

Tony McD

Recently had a customer that wanted to cover a door so he could still see out, but others can't really see mess inside a store room.
We decided on trying 70/30 perf with optically clear laminate.
He also decided to leave the perf unprinted and white.

You could still see through it from both sides plain as day.
It was a clear glass door (no tinting), the room inside is pretty brightly lit, and the hallway outside the door is probably a little darker which didn't help.
So I put some regular laminate on the inside of the door to fog things up.
As it ended up, he just wanted to be able to tell if someone was standing outside before opening the door into them.

Another customer in the same building want's the same thing, except he wants it to be truly one way vision.
He needs to have good vision looking out, but pretty much no vision looking in.
This customer wants a full color print, and I'm wondering if this will help viewers tune into the print versus seeing through the film?

Thank you,
Tony

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Part of the idea of perf is that when printed your brain and eyes focus on the printed image. Unprinted that illusion is lost. Especially if it is bright on the other side (lights on inside).

sign girl

We put this on one of our office windows. When it is a cloudy dark day or at dusk/dawn and the lights are on in the office you can see right through it. It is a full color print.

Your first customer is an ideal situation for dusted crystal (etched glass vinyl).

TXFB.INS

We put this on one of our office windows. When it is a cloudy dark day or at dusk/dawn and the lights are on in the office you can see right through it. It is a full color print.

Your first customer is an ideal situation for dusted crystal (etched glass vinyl).

+1

think of the last movie / TV show where they had an interview room and observation room. The observation is ALWAYS DARK This is ONLY way to achieve one way visibility.

yes the 1st customer should have been done on frosted vinyl

Tony McD

Thanks for the replies.
I agree...frosted or dusted would have been the way to go on customer number one.
Have a couple rolls of 18" frosted and dusted, but the door was 30" so I went with what I had and did it in one piece with laminate.
Don't think he really knew what he wanted to start with, but I thought the 70/30 would have worked better.

For customer number two, pretty sure the inside lighting is kept low, and the perf would be printed, so maybe it would make a big difference.
This is also inside a building where the lighting should basically stay the same, and not have the problem with sunshine or clouds.

fresh

I have customers who ask for this magical product ALL THE TIME. They clearly don't understand basic physics. If they want to be able to see out in both the day and night, and not have anyone see in, they need to black out the glass completely and install a video monitoring system. Or they could install SUPER BRIGHT lights on the outside of the door, so that even at night, the exterior is brighter than the interior.

Other than that, they have to decide what is more important... privacy or ability to see who is on the other side of the door.