• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf Cracking?

Jonas

Has this happened to anyone? This is a back window of a van, slightly curved. We used Cast perf, with a cast laminate. Learned that after having to redo it from the first time when the installer got a bunch of wrinkles from the laminate. The cracking in the pics shown happened in a course of 3 months down here in Florida. Never seen this before. It was printed on a HP 360 Latex. Any recommendations, causes?

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpg
    IMG_5582.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_5583.jpg
    IMG_5583.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_5584.jpg
    IMG_5584.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_5585.jpg
    IMG_5585.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 327

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Has this happened to anyone? This is a back window of a van, slightly curved. We used Cast perf, with a cast laminate. Learned that after having to redo it from the first time when the installer got a bunch of wrinkles from the laminate. The cracking in the pics shown happened in a course of 3 months down here in Florida. Never seen this before. It was printed on a HP 360 Latex. Any recommendations, causes?

You didn't specify what brand....never seen this on something that new. Maybe after a few years, in extreme temperatures. We use Clear Focus vinyl with O-290F lam and never have issues.

Also looks like you used a 60/40 perf? Best to use 50/50 for rear windows....easier to see through.

shoresigns

We had the same wrinkling problem as you when we accidentally used optically clear calendered laminate.

I wouldn't expect any cast vinyl to crack like that (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I'd probably assume the "cast" vinyl didn't come from a major brand.

2B

is it the lamination or the perf that is cracking?
is there any edge shrinkage to make sure you are using cast?

how did the installer get wrinkles? perf is about the easiest material to install there is

DougWestwood

How long was this print left to dry before it was laminated?
Even with HP latex printers, it should be at least 24 hours.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
3 months... wow. We've still got some monomeric perforated out the wild 2 years old that still looks new compared to this.
I can't see how cast could do this in that amount of time other than faulty media.

printhog

dis-similar perf and laminate and RainX on the glass.. would explain both the prior issues and this.. It looks like stress cracks - the perf shrunk, but the laminate hasnt. Double check you are using cast perf by verifying the lot number with manufacturer, and use an mildly abrasive cleaner like bon ami to cut the rainX film off.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'd be curious to know what brand. We use ClearVue with 8518 lam (yes I know - not quite truly "optically clear" but it seems to be fine over the 5 years we've been doing it - actually better than the Oracal optically clear). Although it is rated for 2 years, we are lucky to get 1 out of it down here in the hot Florida sun. I've seen that cracking on a lot of vehicles down here, so it is not an uncommon problem. But we haven't personally experienced it with the combo above.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I'd be curious to know what brand. We use ClearVue with 8518 lam (yes I know - not quite truly "optically clear" but it seems to be fine over the 5 years we've been doing it - actually better than the Oracal optically clear). Although it is rated for 2 years, we are lucky to get 1 out of it down here in the hot Florida sun. I've seen that cracking on a lot of vehicles down here, so it is not an uncommon problem. But we haven't personally experienced it with the combo above.

8518? Really? No one has complained about visibility or yellowish tint?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Nope. And they keep coming back for new graphics, so it must be working for them. We were told years ago (as were many others) that 8518 was the same as the optically clear for window perf. Which is a total lie, but didn't know it then. Visibility is so-so, but the Oracal optically clear we had been using wasn't much different and we keep 8518 in stock. The majority of the window perf we do is on the back of shop trucks, and we really aren't a wrap/vehicle based shop to begin with (although we do have a few steady vehicle customers). That's a very small piece of our business since it's not our focus.

We don't push perf AT ALL because of the relatively short life of the graphics down here. I see soooooo many cars with peeling edges and cracked/baked perf that just takes away from the rest of the vehicle graphics. Personally hate the stuff and always offer an alternative, but it is what some want.

2B

We don't push perf AT ALL because of the relatively short life of the graphics down here. I see soooooo many cars with peeling edges and cracked/baked perf that just takes away from the rest of the vehicle graphics. Personally hate the stuff and always offer an alternative, but it is what some want.

So what is the alternative you use?

I agree, the perf fails first and lowers the quality of the rest of the graphics
we always try to limit the information on the perf to ensure once it fails it can be peeled off and still have full contact on the rest of the vehicle

Bigdawg

Just Me
So what is the alternative you use?

I agree, the perf fails first and lowers the quality of the rest of the graphics
we always try to limit the information on the perf to ensure once it fails it can be peeled off and still have full contact on the rest of the vehicle

We try to find a cut vinyl solution for them - whether it is print/cut or plain vinyl. It doesn't always work, but I try to figure something out for them using minimal information on the back window.

DougWestwood

Wow. Please do enlighten me as to what is false.
Facts work wonders. BS fall flat.

I have operated such HP printers, and have had this exact problem,
ie: material being laminated too soon after printing.
Would very much enjoy reading your long-term expertise and experience,
with the notes on how you have perfected use of the HP latex machines.

Go ahead. I'm sure we can all benefit from your amazing professionalism and prowess in the field.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Wow. Please do enlighten me as to what is false.
Facts work wonders. BS fall flat.

I have operated such HP printers, and have had this exact problem,
ie: material being laminated too soon after printing.
Would very much enjoy reading your long-term expertise and experience,
with the notes on how you have perfected use of the HP latex machines.

Go ahead. I'm sure we can all benefit from your amazing professionalism and prowess in the field.

Seeing as I have owned HP Latex printers Since the L25500 was released and was one of the first owners in Arizona, I can attest to the fact that you can literally laminate a print straight off the printer with no adverse effects. We have owned every generation since the 25500. In fact I just removed a wrap that we did in November of 2011 that was laminated immediately after printing.

The most important thing with the HP is to have a good print profile with the right temperatures.

Attachments

• 20161230_165438.jpg
    20161230_165438.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

DougWestwood

Funny. I operated the big brother, the 28500, for approx 2.5 years, and we had many issues with lamming too fast.
We went through many different profiles, both with the sales person, and then for real, in actual usage.
Wasn't confined to one material or one maker. Room was temperate and fully enclosed, no windows or exposed outer walls.
In fact, i was actually teaching the salesperson how to adjust profiles.

Sometime, you will encounter it with your HP.
Sincerely, Good Luck!
- Doug

Christian @ 2CT Media

Funny. I operated the big brother, the 28500, for approx 2.5 years, and we had many issues with lamming too fast.
We went through many different profiles, both with the sales person, and then for real, in actual usage.
Wasn't confined to one material or one maker. Room was temperate and fully enclosed, no windows or exposed outer walls.
In fact, i was actually teaching the salesperson how to adjust profiles.

Sometime, you will encounter it with your HP.
Sincerely, Good Luck!
- Doug

Did you ever build your own profiles and set your own printer settings from scratch, no canned start?

Jonas

Correction on the length of time, it was a year and 3 months. The material used was the Elite Sunshade 50/50 with a Brightline Shield Optically Clear laminate. Both were recommendations from the supplier.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Correction on the length of time, it was a year and 3 months. The material used was the Elite Sunshade 50/50 with a Brightline Shield Optically Clear laminate. Both were recommendations from the supplier.

Although the briteline is listed as a cast we have noticed very calendared properties to it much like the 3M 8508... although I don't know if that is the issue I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Also due to the nature of window perf 1+ years is good even laminated... you guys get the same type of sun as we do and the UV exposure is really high.