• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf Question

dfelty

Hey Guys looking for some insight. Had a customer bring by a van that was installed back in August. It's kind of hard to see from the picture, but the laminate is completely ate through by something. The grey spots are adhesive from the laminate that have collected dirt. It definitely looks like something splashed up on it to cause this. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? They said the van has probably only been washed twice since the install. So I'm guessing whatever splashed up was able to sit on there for a good while and be able to eat through the laminate. It's clearfocus classicview and clearfocus curvalam. Pictures of affected area are attached.

On a side note, we always trim back and edge seal our window perf. I see a lot of people that don't but it's just something that we've always done to help with longevity. I did see on this van in particular as well that the edge seal is cracking and peeling in several areas. I'm assuming also not being washed regularly may be a factor for this. Starting to look crappy though where it's flaking off so didn't know if edge seal is still the way to go or not.
IMG_5008.jpg

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Who knows what fluid or chemical could have splashed on it since the install. This is why I don't offer a warranty on vehicle or window graphics. Once it leaves the shop, I have no control over what happens to it. Just my thoughts.

AKwrapguy

It could have been anything... how cold does it get where the van it at? Where I live we don't warranty window graphics and are very upfront with out customers that due to the climate window graphics have a very limited life span.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I've seen laminate pop off where the holes in the window film are but the one time I can remember that happening it was helped by the wiper. You could see the fan shape of the wiper path where the laminate popped out.

As others have said, it does seem like something was splashed on there. The interesting question is what it might have been. Fuel maybe?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Reminds me of when someone pressure washes over the perf even though they have been told not to. It rips right through the laminate as it's only 'hovering' over each hole and is quite easily blown out.

Gary1

I've seen laminate pop off where the holes in the window film are but the one time I can remember that happening it was helped by the wiper. You could see the fan shape of the wiper path where the laminate popped out.

As others have said, it does seem like something was splashed on there. The interesting question is what it might have been. Fuel maybe?
Also using a pressure washer will pop out the holes