• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf

paul luszcz

Does window perf look the same in the evening when it's dark out and there are lights on inside a building? A customer wants to use perf for an office window to add privacy at night. I don't want to do the installation and find out it doesn't work at night.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
If it's dark out, and lights are on in the building, you will see right through it.
exactly. You will see in, but you won't see the graphic at all. Perf isn't really designed for privacy. if they don't need to see out the window - you could use a translucent vinyl, that let's light through, but you can't see through it. If they need to see out the window, but want privacy after dark - they should get some curtains or blinds.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Vertical blinds...ugh I hate those things but it's what some of my customers have put up in their windows. They make nice roller type shades now also, I prefer the look of those over blinds.

Does window perf look the same in the evening when it's dark out and there are lights on inside a building? A customer wants to use perf for an office window to add privacy at night. I don't want to do the installation and find out it doesn't work at night.
You might try Backlit (White Back) Window perf. Still see through but you will still see the art. Contra Vision and 3M.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I HATE vertical blinds. Our old house had them.... I ripped them down as soon as I could.
LMAO! They are so outdated. I can't stand closing them then watching them go back and forth until they stop moving - it's very annoying to me for some reason

Signarama Jockey

Is etched glass an option? You can cut a pattern into it, print onto it or just cover the whole window. That would give you some degree of privacy.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Use regular perf and throw a light on the window...that will create privacy...or use white/white backlit perf.

MarkSnelling

Tell me more about white/white backlit perf, please.
Sorry for the delay...I was traveling this week and don't really look at this forum when on my cell phone. The backlit perf is a white/white perf so at night the perf doesn't disappear like normal perf does. It has a great effect by holding on to the interior light within a store or office. I worked with customer in Chicago to turn these 2nd floor perf graphics which just disappeared at 4:00 in the winter to the backlit perf and it looked great till the lights went out at 10:00.

The drawback to backlit perf is that when you are INSIDE and the lights are on, you cannot see out....so you'd want to keep that in mind from a security perspective. It will nearly look like a white wall. During the day you can see out just fine...but the night time you can forget it.

Direct message me if you want to know more! This product should be a hell of a lot more popular because who wants their retail window graphic to disappear at 4 or 5 in the afternoon during the winter?

mkmie

Lost Soul
Sorry for the delay...I was traveling this week and don't really look at this forum when on my cell phone. The backlit perf is a white/white perf so at night the perf doesn't disappear like normal perf does. It has a great effect by holding on to the interior light within a store or office. I worked with customer in Chicago to turn these 2nd floor perf graphics which just disappeared at 4:00 in the winter to the backlit perf and it looked great till the lights went out at 10:00.

The drawback to backlit perf is that when you are INSIDE and the lights are on, you cannot see out....so you'd want to keep that in mind from a security perspective. It will nearly look like a white wall. During the day you can see out just fine...but the night time you can forget it.

Direct message me if you want to know more! This product should be a hell of a lot more popular because who wants their retail window graphic to disappear at 4 or 5 in the afternoon during the winter?
Thanks for the answer. The not seeing out is a drawback but if it lets light in it might be workable.

MarkSnelling

Thanks for the answer. The not seeing out is a drawback but if it lets light in it might be workable.
If you are trying to create some level of privacy, there is also a really cool product from Continental which is a clear PVC with white prisms already in the film. It is designed to give people who don't have white ink an element of a white point on a clear film. It is very cool and not very expensive for what it is. here's a link to the product: https://www.cgxusa.com/produkte/panorama-two-way-vision-3/ I stock it and sell it at a pretty regular clip.