• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

windows 10 sucks!

visual800

I got a call from a friend that works as a marketing person for a country club and told me her comp was messed up and all her stuff was gone! I went over and saw she was on windows 7. tried to get on internet, NO. Tried to download proggys to run scans, NO. Tried to restore, NO. safe mode worked but couldnt do anything.

Put a junp drive and was able to run ccleaner, hijackthis and malwarebytes. Removed over 1000 cooties. Same issue. She was kicked off server every file ahe had was gone. there was an icon at bottom I clicked on it and it had downloaded windows 10 but was an error. I shut down all updates and restarted.

To no avail I brought her comp home and took her hard drive out, there were no other files on this computer. everything was gone! emails, documents empty, no contacts and no programs would start. I am at a loss.

My only thought is is tried to auto upgrade to 10 and got jacked up

ddarlak

Go Bills!
that doesn't sound like a windows 10 thing.

My son accidentally clicked the install windows 10 icon on his PC, it took me a few hours to stop the machine from going through the process and return it to its "normal" state, but nothing was lost.

David Wright

Admittedly I have had some issues with my laptop at home with slow startup and every browser freezing with shockwave errors.
At first I thought the syncing process of dropbox was doing that but disabling that helped for a while.
Did a Malware and virus check , not much improvement.

Well finally after powering down got message installing updates (Windows 10), after that it freezes at lock screen on boot up.

Fed up with it and just reinstalled original windows 7 and most pertinent programs needed. Fine now.

I would hate to see what hell there would be if this was my shop computer.

WildWestDesigns

there was an icon at bottom I clicked on it and it had downloaded windows 10 but was an error. I shut down all updates and restarted.

That makes me think it has something to do with the update process, but I don't think it's specific to Win 10. I've used FedUp to upgrade Fedora along the same lines and there were some issues with that, so it's more of something that happened during the update process more then it has to do with Win 10 specifically. The price one pays to try to be "bleeding edge".

Since everything is gone, or broken, it would probably just be more efficient to do a fresh install of Win 7. It sucks, but sometimes that is the most efficient road to recovery. Did they have any backup regiment going that might help get things closer to the way they were? Then I would just deploy the backup.

rossmosh

I've come to the conclusion that once a Windows OS gets a bad reputation, whether it's valid or not, magically the OS is the blame for everything.

The vast majority of computer issues are because of operating error. It's a far safer bet that the user screwed something up.

boxerbay

the computer was already toast before you tried installing windows 10 but its windows 10 fault? oh boy.

David Wright

the computer was already toast before you tried installing windows 10 but its windows 10 fault? oh boy.

The slow down and freezes started when I upgraded to Windows 10 many months ago. When I disabled one drive and dropbox syncing, that solved it for a while.
I have checked background processes running and one called presentation fonts exe was hogging all resources, don't know why.

Anyways I only occasionally go on this machine but wanted to finally get to the bottom of it. Still possible a virus or or bug, who knows?

I mentioned the windows 10 updating finally bringing it down (as far as I know) because it doesn't seem to be related to other issues.
Who knows? Works good on my other computers.

boxerbay

if your having problems with windows 7 booting and reading files adding a windows 10 install on top of that only compounds the problem.

"Removed over 1000 cooties" probably infected with malware or ransomware so file and disk could be lost already at this point.

"there was an icon at bottom I clicked on it and it had downloaded windows 10 but was an error. I shut down all updates and restarted." probably not a good idea to stop an update once it is started.

We have many computers here running windows 10 with no problems. Windows 7 updates and even with old software on them.

SublettSigns

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's not the OS's fault. I've been working with computers for years, I've built multiple systems for different uses and as long as your hardware relatively new and you don't download a bunch of junk files, run the proper maintenance and don't do anything silly, then your machine should work great. Windows 10 is by far the best operating system that they have came out with since Windows 7. I honestly don't see what the problem is..

DerbyCitySignGuy

There are issues with Windows 10. Lots of people have issues with Windows system processes causing 100% HDD usage and slowing the PC to a crawl.

visual800

why cant I blame it on the 10 install esspecially when the red ! at the bottom indicated windowns 10 when you held cursor on it. The girl was working on a photoshop file the day before and she cut off came back next day all stuff was gone.

This was also the first Id seen or heard of this. And was it just last week or 2 there was a post in here telling folks how to keep 10 from loading.

S11930

Big lesson for the day

PROGRAMS ON THE C DRIVE DATA ON THE D DRIVE A COMPLETELY SEPARATE HARD DISK. All programs on c drive enable you to update or reinstall any programs no problem. Back up all data all the time get a sync program. You dont need to back up the c drive it only contains programs. Those can be re-installed from cd's or the cloud. When installing a new operating system get a new hard disk re-load all the programs its a good time to get rid of the clutter. Keep your c drive clean and virus free. Back-up your data

WildWestDesigns

Back up all data all the time get a sync program. You dont need to back up the c drive it only contains programs. Those can be re-installed from cd's or the cloud.

That depends on what programs you are running. I find it far better to back up the C:/ and that way if some bad happens and you have to wipe, it's easier (and quicker and remember time is money when it's related to a business computer) to deploy the back up and pick back up where you are then it is to install, update (if needing) everything totally from scratch. That might have to be done, but having a back up regiment of the C:/ as well, helps lessen the sting.

I would also suggest making ISOs of your optical disks, those degrade over time. I've had some last 2 yrs, some that last 17 yrs, it's a crap shoot, especially depending on where they were stored.

visual800

PROGRAMS ON THE C DRIVE DATA ON THE D DRIVE A COMPLETELY SEPARATE HARD DISK. All programs on c drive enable you to update or reinstall any programs no problem. Back up all data all the time get a sync program. You dont need to back up the c drive it only contains programs. Those can be re-installed from cd's or the cloud. When installing a new operating system get a new hard disk re-load all the programs its a good time to get rid of the clutter. Keep your c drive clean and virus free. Back-up your data[/

everyone in that building is on a server, I would like to think her stuff is on that Im unsure. thing is all her network connections were disabled and it would not allow me to try and get back on server, whole thing is just weird as hell

WildWestDesigns

everyone in that building is on a server, I would like to think her stuff is on that Im unsure. thing is all her network connections were disabled and it would not allow me to try and get back on server, whole thing is just weird as hell

The connection could have been lost. How was it connected? Mapped or something like iSCSI?