• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wiring my new shop. Does the HP Latex printers have a regular 220 plug?

Speedsterbeast

Almost done my new shop. I'm putting 220V plugs in in case I want to get an HP next year. The spec sheet doesn't specify. Is the plug a regular two prong, or does it have a round dryer-style plug?

k_graham

I just got this done, one is flat , one is vertical for 20 amp 240 and of course the ground is round, mind you they also sent European cords as well and those are round. The electricians also had to use a buck booster transformer to go from 208 - 3 phase to 240 single phase, they did that near the 3 phase panel, then 2 double breakers and 4 wire metal sheathed loomex plus ground to the 2 20 amp 240 volt plugs. On the good side, no ink smell, on the bad side the warm up before printing.

Ken

Snydo

I hate everything about those printers expcept for the ease of use, and the high quality prints it produces.

Speedsterbeast

I still haven't decided on replacing my Roland or moving to latex but I just want to be as prepared as possible. Should have heat on in my shop sometime in the next couple weeks!

ProColorGraphics

I just got this done, one is flat , one is vertical for 20 amp 240 and of course the ground is round, mind you they also sent European cords as well and those are round. The electricians also had to use a buck booster transformer to go from 208 - 3 phase to 240 single phase, they did that near the 3 phase panel, then 2 double breakers and 4 wire metal sheathed loomex plus ground to the 2 20 amp 240 volt plugs. On the good side, no ink smell, on the bad side the warm up before printing.

Ken

You must have the L280, 104" model. The L260, 61", doesn't take 3-phase.

mine came with the round plugs too. Those aren't European, they are for if you have your connection hanging from the ceiling.

Hicalibersigns

Refer to HP's guide for the specific printer you have as referenced by others. We have the L25500 and had to run new service from the box. We also had surge protected outlets installed (as recommended by HP). Total bill was ~ $700.00.

omgsideburns

I've attached an abridged copy of the pre install documentation for the L26500.

For the L26500, It's two of these, 220-240vac, 20amps, each on their own breaker.

plugz.jpg

Attachments

• Pre Install Checklist HP L26500 083013.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 466

k_graham

You must have the L280, 104" model. The L260, 61", doesn't take 3-phase.

mine came with the round plugs too. Those aren't European, they are for if you have your connection hanging from the ceiling.

No we have the 260, the issue is when you have 3 phase it is 208 not 220 to 240 single phase. 3 phase uses a 3 pole breaker, however if you use a 2 pole breaker you get 208 volt single phase yet supposedly if using a single pole it is 120 volts. Anyway power is taken off the 3 phase panel using a 2 pole breaker - I never checked but its probably a 50 amp then ran through a buckbooster transformer where its boosted to 240 volt single phase at which time it is ran into a small panel with 2 of 2 pole breakers at 20 amps and fed to the HP.

An alternative is to use a transformer to boost 120 to 240 but requires a heavier transformer, I think about 800.00 instead of 300 US.

Regards the round plugs, did you use them?

I've seen twist plugs that might be used on a ceiling but the round plugs these came with look like the receptacle plugs I've seen in China.
Ken

k_graham

Refer to HP's guide for the specific printer you have as referenced by others. We have the L25500 and had to run new service from the box. We also had surge protected outlets installed (as recommended by HP). Total bill was ~ $700.00.

Any link to those surge protected outlets or surge protector for 20 amps 240,

Thanks, Ken

Esdale

the issue is when you have 3 phase it is 208 not 220 to 240 single phase. 3 phase uses a 3 pole breaker, however if you use a 2 pole breaker you get 208 volt single phase yet supposedly if using a single pole it is 120 volts. Anyway power is taken off the 3 phase panel using a 2 pole breaker - I never checked but its probably a 50 amp then ran through a buckbooster transformer where its boosted to 240 volt single phase at which time it is ran into a small panel with 2 of 2 pole breakers at 20 amps and fed to the HP.

This is the similar configuration we used, our electrican suggested it and it has been trouble free. The HP latex L26500 is a good move ours has been a good work horse.