• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wooden sign post pricing

jman

Hey guys, Just wondering what you would suggest selling a pair of pressure treated not painted sign posts would be. Customer wants 2 5' 4x4" posts for a smaller sign that he's installing to go with the sign were making. I'm getting 1 10' and cutting it down the middle and my cost is $14 for the post and cutting is included at the local lumber yard.

Not sure if you suggest markup x2,3 or 4 or markup x time to go get the posts and cut.

I was thinking x2 markup + half hour of time to go get the post and that would put the pair at $70.

Thank you!

letterman7

Let's hope the sign isn't more than 18" in height since burial depth is everything. But, IMHO, $70 is too much. If the store is only a half hour away (hour round trip), just mark it up 2x and help your customer out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cut it on an angle, so water and snow don't sit on top. For a treated 4x4 @ 8' we get $78. ea They are paying you for convenience and to do it right.

I agree, too, the post should go in the ground about 36". That's gonna be some low sign there.

jman

Thanks guys, Yeah the sign is a tiny one at 12x30" in size. It's for a camping area and it's a simple directional.

Thank you!

chester215

Just call me Chester.
I'd sell them an 8' post and let them cut it off after the hole is dug.
A camping area should have a chainsaw handy.

J Hill Designs

Let's hope the sign isn't more than 18" in height since burial depth is everything. But, IMHO, $70 is too much. If the store is only a half hour away (hour round trip), just mark it up 2x and help your customer out.

so an hour out of YOUR day for $14?

yeah no thanks.

CanuckSigns

It's not rocket science, why isn't the client getting the post? Why would they pay a middle man $70 for a $14 post? I could see if you were painting it to match something but a standard PT post is readily available anywhere.

fresh

i'd probably be close to $60-70 for just the post, but I wouldn't line item it. I'd quote the job as either just a panel or a "turn key" sign, already assembled, that they would need to install. So we'd predrill all holes and include hardware. Honestly, I'd probably charge an extra $100 or so for the ready to install sign kit.

but I wanted to suggest that you pick up a few good 4x4s and keep them at your shop. we don't do wood post signs too much, but its nice to have straight, dry lumber on hand. the quality is the same at both depot and the local lumber yards, and they are all always wet. so when we have a painted sign job, we always have to wait a week or so for it it dry out, and that is annoying. keeping a few extras on hand isn't a bad idea.

letterman7

so an hour out of YOUR day for $14?

yeah no thanks.

Well, I tend to build the posts into the prices of my signs. If it's a good client, then yes, I'll pick up what I need for them while I'm shopping for someone else. Hourly rates all wash in the end.. if the customer is installing, then why screw them for something that doesn't take me any time?

jman

The reason behind having to line item the posts is because it was one of those deals where they wanted just a substrate and now they want posts to put in the ground with the sign. Makes no sense to me but hey, customer is always right, right? lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
By the way, a sign that size only requires a single post. Two posts is overkill. Get a 6' post and tell him to sink it in 3' and he'll still have 3' above ground for the sign.

Brink

The reason behind having to line item the posts is because it was one of those deals where they wanted just a substrate and now they want posts to put in the ground with the sign. Makes no sense to me but hey, customer is always right, right? lol

If they got you to quote just the substrate and now they are wanting a complete sign, tell them that they asked for a substrate and that a complete sign is priced differently. Do like Fresh said and sell installation kit complete with posts and hardware for $100. Tell them that you don't sell lumber and if they want to save money they can pick up their own posts at the nearest lumber yard.

reQ

Marking up raw lumber without you installing anything etc....? I don't get it, unless your customer just does not want to go to lumber yard and get a post himself, its ok, i guess. I would love to sell it like that, imagine, selling a 2x4x8 for 20 bucks :D