• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wordpress vs Joomla?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thanks all for the continuing flow of feedback.
I've taken a few steps forward in my education based on what you guys have posted.

I signed up for a free 30 day trial Joomla! host (cloudaccess)
They loaded the demo site for me -
Watched the "How to be an expert in 12 easy steps" videos.
Found a few templates - swapped them in and out - pretty neat.
Grabbed a shopping cart - got it on the page - added a few products - so far so good- almost idiot proof.
Started digging into the structure of the demo site - what is all this stuff? - 8 pages of extensions?
Time to clean house - got rid of all the content
Started to get rid of the "excess" extensions.
Silly red warning about some core components being deleted.
Can't log out of admin - close and can't log back in - crash and burn.
File a support ticket - please reset to default - no reply for the last few days.
No more button pushing fun for me.

Went to the Evil one's server and downloaded the MS Webmatrix development, deployment wizard thing.

Back in business - have both WP and Joomla! pages running on my localhost.
Return to button pushing and can now reset without a support ticket.
Progress......

wayne k
guam usa

mountaingraphic

Magento, Wordpress, Joomla, Opencart, Presta Shop, OsCommerce, TomatoCart, and a slueth of others are all available with basic hosting sites. The cream of the crop is going to be dependant of what your needs are.

Are you wanting to sell a cppl hundred or cppl thousand products? All have their glitches, all have their place. It all depends on how much mucking you want to go through to end up with the site of your dreams.

I will agree as far as user friendlyness Wordpress is #1 but to incorporate it as a standard site and not just a blog requires a few plugins and not just a cool theme.

I will be going back to wordpress shortly just due to the vast user group for support and the amazing themes that are available. Some things you need to think about

1. How many products are you selling?
2. Will your shared server's PHP requirements meet what is needed to import large amounts of data
3. You still need to generate traffic so how do you plan on bringin people to the site
4. Get analytics as it will track all your customers to see what is effective for marketing your site
5. As you have already done, do a XAMPP install on your desktop before you go live so that you do not need to be changing things on the fly causing issues with the site
6. Pull your hair out because it doesnt work and you need to start all over because the plugin didnt work and goofed your database and you didnt have a backup
7. You need to be familiar with all aspects of hosting from myphpadmin, ftp, database creation, php requirements and such if you plan on doing it do it right.
8. Prepare for long nights in front of the screen tweaking everything

Sorry for the long winded explaination but I have spent WAYYYYYY too much time with all of the above options to find that they just dont meet my needs in one way or another and would like to save someone else the headaches I have received.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Once again thanks for the continuing feedback here.
I'm taking this one bite at a time - when I have time.

As far as the online store it won't be the prime focus, I'm going to try and keep it small and simple.
My market is just too limited here - no one from the mainland is going to order anything from Guam that has to be shipped out.
What I am looking for are customers from nearby islands. Right now, those who can, fly in to shop on a weekend.
If I can present them with a cheaper option a few might bite. Most of the islands in the neighborhood are even smaller than us so we are not talking big money, but every sale helps. If anything they may still fly in and make us one to their stops on the shopping tour.
I think I can handle the tech end - it is my writing skills that are going to come up short.
I know there is a solution out there I just need to find it.

thanks

wayne k
guam usa

Mike F

Does anyone have any suggestions for a theme to use with wordpress?

Suffusion is pretty good if you're looking for a free one. Kinda confusing when you first install it, but once you figure it out it's extremely customizable.

signswi

Choice of theme depends on intend of site. Stay away from themes using Cufon or that use custom backends or aren't well supported (make sure it's a theme made by a big, reputable theme company with a record of excellent support). Make sure the theme is 3.0 ready.

boxerbay

Hi,
so from reading the "websites on an iPad" thread I can put it off no longer and want to get a website up and running.
I noticed Wordpress thrown around and looked it up, from there a quick check of the top 10 CMS apps and Wordpress Joomla and Drupal are the top 3.
I've read the reviews and would like to know what people here think who have used one or more of them.

I am sure most would recommend having someone who knows what they are doing do it and I write the check, but that can't happen right now.

I'm not going to be overly ambitious to start out and figure I will try to break it down into 3 or 4 phases - ending up with a simple, clean website with an online store/catalog (for our automotive/truck retail parts).
Something I can have the front counter update after it is up and going.

I'm thinking a shared server will be more than enough as traffic is never going to be very high. We are pretty much a closed loop here and the main objective is to get our name & services out there for the military and off island contractors that are beginning to arrive.

thanks

wayne k
guam usa

Please hire a qualified person to build it for you. You will end up happier and with better results.

signswi

Got this in one of my newsfeeds a couple weeks ago.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ordPress?source=CTWNLE_nlt_dailyam_2011-09-14

Great article that goes through the pluses and minuses of each.

Also lists some good add ons.

The conclusions are dumb though and self-selecting. Saying to use Drupal for complex sites where you're going to have a heavy engineering team to work on it is a pointless thing to say as you need a heavy engineering team to make Drupal do anything useful. And you should STILL use WordPress in those situations unless you want to be murdered in your sleep by your dev team.