• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would like to move from screen printing to a flatbed printer

ktyler1320

I am helping my dad research printers for his marine safety company. They currently offer photoluminescent signage to their customers that is screen printed. He would like to now upgrade to a flatbed printer for these signs. His budget is $75,000-100,000. He has talked to some of his suppliers of material and they have sent him quotes on flatbed printers. He seems to get mixed reviews from everyone. He was looking into an HP FB 500 then a rep for veritiv/xpedx told him that would cost him way too much in ink and he recommended the EFI 652. I was researching the EFI 652 when I stumbled onto this forum, and found not so good reviews of this machine. Here is a link to the types of signs that need to be printed http://www.datrex.com/index/catalog/cd_catID/32/flag_acc/1?ppage=14 Could you recommend some printers that may fit his needs so we can get more information on them. He would like a roll to roll option also. So far these are what I have been looking into: HP FB 500, EFI 652, OCE 318 but would appreciate any other recommendations to add to our research.

Hzone15

Stay away from the Rastek EFI, they left the Rastek off the name on purpose as these machines have a terrible field record. I have zero experience with the Oce but I don't believe it has roll 2 roll.

I do have the FB950 which uses same the same ink as the FB500 and it's not that much more than the Rastek. I pay 150 a liter and estimate my cost per sq. around .20 cents depending on your art work. I understand the FB500 to be about the same.

H

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have been really impressed with the Mimaki JFX200. The price point is in your budget and the machine is really easy to use. There is no other Flatbed I can think of that has the same speed and quality for the price. Another benefit is that Mimaki is servicing these machines for the first year which means you get service from the manufacturer and not a dealer tech. Feel free to give us a call for a quote and samples: 303-733-6671

RyanFelty

Take a look at the CETs while you're at it...very user friendly and good customer service. We have an Xpress500 and love it so far (had it for 2-3 years now). Hope this helps!

ktyler1320

Thank you both for the replies, I will look into both of those. I had written down to research the CET from just looking on this site reading different threads earlier today. Thank you.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Give the hp a good look, the ink costs are higher but that is some of the more durable ink you'll find in a flatbed. The thin cost effective films some of the others lay down just don't hold up as well.

dlndesign

My only experience has been with the Teckwin and Vutek. Teckwin I thought wS a good machine for uneven surfaces. But a bit of a pain for servicing and setup. Vutek GS series, takes time for setup but overall a outstanding flatbed. Maintanence package includes technician visist and full warranty on parts for a year.

http://www.cmykthis.com/sign-shops-the-easy-way/

DougWestwood

OCE & FUJI flatbed tables

Hi There,

I have run several OCE and FUJI tables, currently and in the past.

The OCE tables seem to need more cleaning, the nozzles clogging more often.
Currently running two FUJI tables (same manufacturer, just rebranded by FUJI).
Time and technology have benefitted both versions.

The FUJI print heads seem to clog less than the OCEs I used to run.
Also, the FUJI tables don't seem to need a lot of different profiles for each material,
like the OCE needed. Right now, I use ONE PROFILE for everything.

These tables might be at the upper end of your budget, but if you are going to run it everyday,
then you will save money and time in production, and this will be a money maker.

ONYX seems to be the RIP software for each of these machines. Have had no issues with
the current version (Onyx 11), runs the machine well, and has solid file manipulation attributes.

Good luck!
-Doug
Vancouver

ktyler1320

One thing I couldn't find in your description - what is the actual material that these are printed on? Is it a self-adhesive photoluminescent film or is on a substrate? Does the ink need to let any of this finish through or is it going to block it out? I'm assuming that if these are currently screenprinted that opaque ink is okay but just thought I'd ask.

There is a wide range of inksets/configurations available and you'll want to make sure whatever you go with will use an inkset & configuration that is a perfect fit for your requirements. What I found during my research is that hybrids are good for doing both flat and roll to roll, but you can't beat the small(er) footprint and accuracy of a true flatbed. (no feed tables required) That's why I like the setup that Oce/FUJI have with a true flatbed PLUS a separate roll to roll option. I don't believe any other manufacturers feature this configuration.

We picked up an Oce 318gl in September and are extremely pleased with it. We went with the 256 inkset and white option. Roll to roll is available as a separate option but will come in probably around $10-$15k over your max budget. We held off on it but I think at some point we may add it. If you skip the white option and leave the r2r option off for now you'll come in within your budget.

Not saying it is the perfect fit for you (because I'm not sure of the exact workflow to make those signs) but it's worked out great for us.

Thank you for the replies, and yes Pat it is printed on a self adhesive photoluminescent film and also on rigid sheets. He does want the white option also. Thanks again.

lgroth

Another option to look at is hybrid printers like Roland's LEJ-640... Well under your budget, (you could almost get two at the top end of your budget) prints up to 1/2" thick rigid materials and roll stock up to 64" wide. LED UV lamps, CMYK+W, Smaller footprint than a full flatbed too. Not sure whether people swear by them or at them more, should be enough reviews out there. We've discussed getting a demo of one as a possible addition to our shop. Just another option to look at...

ktyler1320

Thank you and yes they now cut from the roll what they need to screen print.

He did get some samples printed on a roland, the prints looked good but it was much slower print speed than what he was hoping for.

lgroth

A lot of it depends on what you are printing as far as speed goes on pretty much any printer, we have Fuji and Roland printers (and I've used several other brands), a lot of print jobs can be run at lower resolution and higher speeds, but when doing fine art, backlit films or prints with those few stubborn colors and gradients it's slower with more passes and higher resolution to get the results. Wish there was one magic printer that gave it all under any circumstance, but then everyone would have one, there wouldn't be any Signs-101 and I'd have no cool kids to hang out with all day