• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wow! I think I found my Software?

Suz

Okay, after going after all sorts of leads on the Onyx Software specific to the HP L25500 that did not pan out, I found this and it is within my price range right now:

http://www.colorhq.com/Wasatch-SoftRIP-HP-Edition-p/wps603-hp.htm?CartID=3

Looks lie it'll work. I'll be checking on Monday. We'll see what they say. Anybody ever order anything from this Company before? They were not recommended by anyone I've chatted with or spoken to, I found them doing a search.

Your input is appreciated, that is if you want to share here if the experience was a good one purchasing from this Company. Also, please comment if you bought this version of the Software.

Thank you!

tomence

This company is located only 10 minutes away from me. I went to check them out the other day, and they are legit. I want to buy the X-rite i1 from them they are x rite main distributor for IL and have the best prices.
Why would you want to buy Wasatch vs Onyx or Flexi

WildWestDesigns

Wasatch is used in sublimation printing. There are actually a couple of users on here that use it for the type of printing y'all do, so hopefully they will chime in with their experiences.

Suz

Tomence, to answer your question, the reason I'm considering them is that I've heard good things about the color this program can reproduce, and the price I saw is real good, although now I'm finding out it may not be accurate information. I just called them, they said they hadn't updated their website, but price they had posted was for version 6, now version 7 is out and the price is probably different than what is posted. So, waiting.....Thanks for posting that they are a legit Company, glad to hear that! Your feedback is much appreciated! My husband has been very clear that he doesn't want to get Caldera because of the OS, he's not keen on using anything other than a PC. I'm open to it, he's not. Regarding Flexi, I'm not sure it's going to make me happy for colors, although the price looks really great.

Frank, I'm glad Flexi is working out for you. It looks like it has so many great features, but I'm an artist and I have lots of artsy Customers picky about colors. So, I'm leaning toward a software that has the best reviews on color.

Wild, you mentioned a while ago that you are running your Caldera on a netbook, as I recall 32 bit. May I ask what exactly your netbook is? I'm really thinking it could work, but to satisfy the husband would have to buy yet another computer. You said you got one cheap? Maybe enough time has passed that I could get something used or cheap. Did you add memory or anything special to your netbook, or are you using it as is? Thanks!!

This company is located only 10 minutes away from me. I went to check them out the other day, and they are legit. I want to buy the X-rite i1 from them they are x rite main distributor for IL and have the best prices.
Why would you want to buy Wasatch vs Onyx or Flexi

WildWestDesigns

Wild, you mentioned a while ago that you are running your Caldera on a netbook, as I recall 32 bit. May I ask what exactly your netbook is? I'm really thinking it could work, but to satisfy the husband would have to buy yet another computer. You said you got one cheap? Maybe enough time has passed that I could get something used or cheap. Did you add memory or anything special to your netbook, or are you using it as is? Thanks!!

I'm sorry. I run Linux off a netbook. I had found that it runs better with Linux then it did with the XP that it came with. Although I'm not a fan of XP period.

For what I do, I don't use a RIP program.

Suz

Wild, Oh gee, thought you were using Caldera. I was hoping there was a netbook powerful enough to run the program, even if 32 bit, I'd be okay with that.

Suz

Matt, I'm still trying to see if I can put together an OS for Caldera that is affordable. We have a beautiful new PC to run our RIP, but my hubby doesn't want to section it off to run Debian for the Caldera. He totally cleaned it out and loaded Debian, but didn't like that we no longer had a PC. So he took Debian off, reloaded the Windows stuff and there it sits. I'm okay with that, just a bit frustrated as it was supposed to be our RIP station. Gotta make it work somehow for him and for me. Thanks for your input. I read so many great things about Caldera and I'd love to try it but funds are limited.

WildWestDesigns

What exactly did he not like about the Debian distribution of Linux? I've only run Ubuntu, so I don't know what differences (if any) are on that particular distribution versus Ubuntu. In fact, I'm typing this reply on a Dell computer that has Ubuntu loaded on it.

How much time did he give it to make the switch?

If it's sole purpose in life is as a RIP station, then what keeps him wanting to stay with Windows? Why would it matter, just something that he is used to?

Suz

Yeah, he's just fond of Windows. He's been trained as a Technician with PC's and was A+ certified and does a great job with anything PC's. The new Computer is capable of not just being our RIP station, but running my entire business. At first, I had hopes he would section the hard drive off and he wanted to do that, but just a huge hassle is how he described it. So, stuck again darnit.

Hey Wild, whatcha worki'n on lately? Doing lots of hats and shirts this summer? Hope so! By the way, my hat job went real good the other day. Yay! Love it when my embroidery machines run smooth. They have been very good to me! Lotsa work, but they do run great. I'm glad for that!

What exactly did he not like about the Debian distribution of Linux? I've only run Ubuntu, so I don't know what differences (if any) are on that particular distribution versus Ubuntu. In fact, I'm typing this reply on a Dell computer that has Ubuntu loaded on it.

How much time did he give it to make the switch?

If it's sole purpose in life is as a RIP station, then what keeps him wanting to stay with Windows? Why would it matter, just something that he is used to?

WildWestDesigns

Yeah, he's just fond of Windows. He's been trained as a Technician with PC's and was A+ certified and does a great job with anything PC's. The new Computer is capable of not just being our RIP station, but running my entire business. At first, I had hopes he would section the hard drive off and he wanted to do that, but just a huge hassle is how he described it. So, stuck again darnit.

I'm not understanding why he is having such a hard time or thinks it's a hassle to run a dual boot situation. I have no certification at all and I was able to do it before I decided to switch entirely to Ubuntu.

However, having said that, I'm not a huge fan of sectioning off to run a dual boot or running a virtual drive etc. I prefer to use either one or the other.

Thinking along that line, I wouldn't use Linux to run your entire business if that includes also using your embroidery digitizing software. There are a lot of programs that would help with admin and even vector work, but embroidery software doesn't translate to Linux. Way to specialized a field that affects a relative small demographic to have official support with this platform.

Hey Wild, whatcha worki'n on lately? Doing lots of hats and shirts this summer? Hope so! By the way, my hat job went real good the other day. Yay! Love it when my embroidery machines run smooth. They have been very good to me! Lotsa work, but they do run great. I'm glad for that!

Pattern work is perhaps the majority of my work right now(which is fine by me). Right now I have one client on a monthly contract, in the works for a couple of others due to their work flow.

Shirts would be the next biggest %. A lot of re-orders with the Mexican restaurants around here, so that is good. Hats not so much. I have had a couple of relative decent sized orders for hats, but it comes and goes in spurts, not anything like my pattern work or shirts right now.

Glad to hear the hat order went smoothly.

I hear you on when embroidery machines run smoothly. Nothing like the sound of multiple machines running at the same time either.

Suz

Hey Wild,

No, I would not run my entire business on Linux. But I was thinking the Windows 7 could be the main operating system, then a sectioned off part of the hard drive could have the RIP with it's own operating system.

Anyhow, the hub just doesn't like changes when it comes to operating systems. That is fine with me since he's the one doing the computer fixing.

I'm working on a couple ideas for software and I'm sure something will happen. There are some Technicians helping me now with HP, and also some Dealers. The Company I got my machine through is going to bat for me too, they are fantastic. I no longer have the Technician, but that is going to be okay.

Getting excited now, it will all work out, then I can tell you all what software I got.
Thanks!

dypinc

Why don't you consider the Caldera Mac Mini package all setup and ready to go. I am sure you could also use it as a internet connection machine without the worries of being on the internet with windows.

ProColorGraphics

Matt, I'm still trying to see if I can put together an OS for Caldera that is affordable. We have a beautiful new PC to run our RIP, but my hubby doesn't want to section it off to run Debian for the Caldera. He totally cleaned it out and loaded Debian, but didn't like that we no longer had a PC. So he took Debian off, reloaded the Windows stuff and there it sits. I'm okay with that, just a bit frustrated as it was supposed to be our RIP station. Gotta make it work somehow for him and for me. Thanks for your input. I read so many great things about Caldera and I'd love to try it but funds are limited.

When I got my copy of Caldera, it was an extra $1 to get it installed and ready to go all setup on a new Mac Mini. If all this was is your RIP station, there really wouldn't be much to learn if you are not familiar with Macs.

WildWestDesigns

When I got my copy of Caldera, it was an extra $1 to get it installed and ready to go all setup on a new Mac Mini. If all this was is your RIP station, there really wouldn't be much to learn if you are not familiar with Macs.

I would rather have Linux then a Mac. 5 people that I know had Macs (myself included) only 1 has stayed with the Mac and she doesn't do any design work at all. She has Painter on there, but I doubt she has ever opened it up since I installed it on there for her. All the others used the Macs for some type of design work (and they went back).

But I think in the OP's case, budget is a concern and since they already have a Windows machine or they can move it to Linux on the cheap (the OS itself is free), that would be the way I would go before I would run a Mac station. However, even in the case of the Mac, I don't know how well hubby would enjoy the switch over to that.