• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap pay kiosk with embossed aluminum finish

gnubler

I was contacted by a customer who ordered a kit of printed vinyl from a third party vendor to wrap their pay kiosks. I went to check them out and wanted to get some opinions before committing to the job. The vinyl is a 3M product and feels heavy duty, like floor vinyl. It's already die cut with the voids for various areas of the kiosk that can't be covered (key pads, screen, speakers, etc). Will this be a nightmare trying to get it perfectly positioned? Should it be premasked? And the finish on the kiosks are a bumpy/embossed metal. No idea if the vinyl will even adhere as I have no sample pieces to test out. Should I give it a shot or pass?

1.jpg 20240501_155248.jpg 20240501_155441.jpg

White Haus

Not a Newbie
What does the adhesive look/feel like? Hopefully it's something like IJ180mc-10LSE otherwise those things ain't stickin.

I wouldn't consider premasking them as an option, it will be more work cutting out the open areas than it's worth.

Regarding pass or bid.... is it an existing customer? Those shouldn't be too hard to line up and install, but adhesion will be the main concern like you mentioned.

If you can bid it and make money, with the warning that you can't guarantee that it will hold up, then it's a job like anything else.

gnubler

The vinyl feels thick and has a textured surface, similar to the floor vinyl I've ordered from Signs365 (Footprints/Bootprints). I think it's air release.

It's an existing customer, and a good one.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'd give it a shot. All the cuts should make it easy. They used 3M vinyl so they must know what they're doing. Obviously don't warranty the adhesion of it

JBurton

Signtologist
I'd take a bodyguard knife or topsheet knife to that backing, slitting betwixt those cut out voids, pull a central area loose, slowly place it, then start reaching behind and pulling regions/strips free and applying. I did a precut atm once, the damned window grows in size pretty quickly on a hot day, but that was a traditional wrap film. How stretchy is it?
Bottom line, you can't warrant the adhesion to that paint, it looks similar to the ones I was doing with an anti-graffiti epoxy coating that just shed wraps in a week.

You're showing a circle with a box next to it or above it. Where is that on the pictures? Are there several of different machines and configurations?

Johnny Best

Just clean the surface real good and apply. Have done precut before and they work out good. Report back and tell us how it went.

gnubler

I'd take a bodyguard knife or topsheet knife to that backing, slitting betwixt those cut out voids, pull a central area loose, slowly place it, then start reaching behind and pulling regions/strips free and applying.
Good idea. I have one of those slitters and will try it.
I don't think the vinyl is stretchy at all, so it might go on pretty easy.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Looks like decent vinyl, but there are a LOT of flavors of 3M vinyl that it might be... The laminate looks like (scratchproof) polycarb laminate, so in theory the vinyl combo shouldn't stretch. I would tell the customer you will do one as a test to see how it goes at an hourly rate and you can quote the rest from there.

gnubler

The job is done and was way easier than expected. Cut off the top few inches of liner to get each piece tacked down, and the rest went on super easy. The front panels both wrapped around the sides so I post-heated those areas, I hope they hold up. Here's before and after shots, I think they turned out nice! Customer is happy and was glad I did the install because he didn't want to.

20240507_133636.jpg 20240507_145204.jpg