• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap shrinking or pulling back from seams

That would be contrary to the posts on this very forum where people have had issues with Oracal just like issues with 3M. They all have their issues from time to time.

I've seen some horrid stuff embedded into my Oracal vinyls. Bugs, specs of colors like someone dumped glitter in it when it was being made, etc.

I've also seen issues with 3M. I have yet to find a manufacturer that made great stuff all the time, every time.

I absolutely agree that you are bound to have issues from time to time no matter who the manufacturer may be. I just like the idea that unlike Avery Dennison and 3M, Oracal specializes in adhesive products and their focus doesn't seem to stray too far from that. There's nothing wrong with being a company with a diversified product line, but I personally have more faith in those that don't. I've yet to have any major issues with Oracal products, however I have had some issues with 3M's products, particularly some 30% white light diffusion film that had a brown streak over 2 yards or more of the ten yard roll. At $150 a roll, that can be quite a problem, but 3M did stand behind the product and was willing to replace it. To each their own, but we've had great success with Oracal over the past few years and we've used about everything in their product line at some point or another.

CES020

I absolutely agree that you are bound to have issues from time to time no matter who the manufacturer may be. I just like the idea that unlike Avery Dennison and 3M, Oracal specializes in adhesive products and their focus doesn't seem to stray too far from that. There's nothing wrong with being a company with a diversified product line, but I personally have more faith in those that don't. I've yet to have any major issues with Oracal products, however I have had some issues with 3M's products, particularly some 30% white light diffusion film that had a brown streak over 2 yards or more of the ten yard roll. At $150 a roll, that can be quite a problem, but 3M did stand behind the product and was willing to replace it. To each their own, but we've had great success with Oracal over the past few years and we've used about everything in their product line at some point or another.

No worries, doesn't matter to me, I don't work for either company :) I think they both have some excellent products.

3M Graphics

Merchant Member
As Intense01 pointed out, we did have a recall on that specific Lot and Drum. All of that material has been accounted for so you should not have any of it at this point. The failure mode occurred during installation, and usually only when installing on compound curves. Once installed successfully, it was fine.
3M will help figure out what is happening in this particular situation. Can we have one of our Technical Service people contact you?

Anyone having this issue, PM me your contact info,

Thanks

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
No problems here but I just checked and the rolls we are running are only a lot number away. We are nearing the end of fully wrapping (interior too) 20 large city buses. A failure like this would be a total nightmare. Even with replacement material the ink and labor costs would bankrupt us. 30ish rolls of 180CV3, 8548G lam, half a dozen rolls of 680CR, dozen rolls of app tape, several rolls of window perf, more lam for the perf and reflective overlays, several gallons of ink, case of primer 94, etc..... crew of 3, 3 full days each to install (including the entire inside ceiling), plus 2 days of inside production work printing, finishing, trimming, cutting, weeding, taping each. The thought of having to remove and replace all of this gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :omg: Thank the heavens all of it seems to be staying down fine. A material failure is about the scariest part of taking on a project of this size. If it were to happen, we are the ones who would be bankrupted and take the worst hit even though we do everything just right. I think I'd have a stroke on the spot if I saw a new 40 foot bus shrinking back like that.

What the OP posted though, that looks flat out like some low end calendared material. My guess is mislabeled vinyl or laminate.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
This is why I've chosen to use Oracal products more than 3M or any other brand. With over 200 years of German engineering and a company that (as far as I know) exclusively produces adhesive vinyl products it's hard to go wrong.

NOPE. Had their print cast vinyl completely separate from it's adhesive, twice several years ago. So I can't get on board with ya on that claim.

greysquirrel

I switched to Mactac a few months back...no issues...gone through 5kits with latex 360...Avery has admitted to having issues with latex along with 3m having their own issues....