• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a powder coated electrical transformer

soggywinter

I have a customer request to wrap a powder coated outdoor transformer cabinet. I would be using 3m IJ180C with overlaminate. I have a few concerns
The cabinet dimensions are 45Dx92Hx148L

The cabinet may get warm
The powder coat has a dimpled texture (see photos) that may create voids
The air temperature range range is -10F to 90F (Southeast Alaska)
The cabinet will have snow piled against it on occasion

Should this be cabinet be wrapped with that media, another media that is higher tack, or should we print on Dibond sheets the same size as the access panels and CNC the bolt holes?

Attachments

• IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2927.jpg
    IMG_2927.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 130

Scotchbrite

No comment
I've have customers use IJ180 on engines, so I don't think temperature will be an issue. The only thing you might consider is doing an adhesion test like you for wall graphics.

ProSignTN

A little heat and a rivet brush should push into the dimples fairly easy. Someone wrapped a similar box out front of a big church in my area and it serves as a monument sign for the parking lot. It looks awesome. The bottom looks like a brick base and I don't think anyone even notices that it's a service box.