• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping an elevator interior - need some advice

Big EZ Signs LLC

Hello all, I have a good client of mine who is asking me if I can wrap the interior walls of their elevator. The problem I'm having is I'm not sure how to remove the "hand rails" from the walls? There appears to be no obvious set screw, I've looked on all sides of the attachment legs. Anyone dealt with these before?
Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• elevator_rails.jpg
    elevator_rails.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 137

CanuckSigns

Just an FYI, we've been contacted by the TSSA (not sure what the American equivalent is) about needing engineers approval before installing vinyl inside an elevator, apparently there are issues with weight and possible flammability that need to be approved before anything can be installed inside an elevator cab, even a snap frame.

Precision

What are the elevator dimensions on that wall. It would reason that you will have seams. Perhaps you wrap it horizontally, hiding the seam under that rail, and notching the vinyl at the bracket to wall sections?

ikarasu

Just an FYI, we've been contacted by the TSSA (not sure what the American equivalent is) about needing engineers approval before installing vinyl inside an elevator, apparently there are issues with weight and possible flammability that need to be approved before anything can be installed inside an elevator cab, even a snap frame.
Huh... We've wrapped quite a few doors and interior elevators using 3m Dinoc. Never got an engineer's approval.... Mainly because we've never known it was needed.

I'd never wrap one with regular vinyl... It's not srong enough to handle elevator usage. A thicker interior vinyl like Dinoc or it's equivalent is good. You can butt seam it without it being noticeable too.

Usually there's a set screw / grub screw on the bottom of the elevator handles right where it connects to the wall.... You loosen both, pull the handle off and then unscrew the bases from the wall... At least the ones we've done are like that.

Last edited:

Signstein

Some elevator wall handles are mounted from back side with screws then hung / installed panel as a whole side panel.
Ha - did you also see this past weekend's This Old House? They installed an elevator into a residential home for accessibility and the elevator walls were installed as entire panels and attached from above and below.

tbullo

Superunknown
We used this product on an Army base for a couple of elevators. They had it approved with the elevator maintenance company before we did the job.

Signarama Jockey

Is there a screw head underneath the cylinders that attach it to the wall? What do those supports look like from underneath?

That's how I'd do it if I was building these things.