• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping Composite Wood?

HulkSmash

so,
the airport wants us to wrap 200 4x8 Composite wood sheets. They want it to last about 5 years.. Now i know there's really nothing that will stick to composite wood that long, but does anyone know what would work the longest and best on unprimed raw composite wood panels?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless you get a few coats of some product, the vinyl world won't be able to help you.

I would treat it like raw wood.

Seal it with two separate coats and a light sanding in between. Prime it and then at least two top coats of finish coat.

If that makes you substrate cost to much, then you need to renegotiate and tell them sawdust and glue are unacceptable at this point.

I mean c'mon, who ever heard of using sawdust glued together to be a good substrate for anything other than a shelf, lining of a closet or something, not to mention the weight problem lugging 200 pieces around. That chit is heavy... even at 1/2"

AUTO-FX

Gino, isnt "Extira" any good?
I mean , yeah, you still have to put a coat of paint on it, but that's just sawdust and glue, isnt it???

Colorado, why couldnt it be PVC?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Why composite wood sheets and vinyl prints?
For 200 pieces I'd look into a direct flat bed process with clear-coat if needed on a different material.

CentralSigns

We did some wood signs and put 30 good coats of spar urethane on them. So far 3 years in the Canadian winter still looking as good as new. Takes over a month to apply that many coats. It's the best we have ever used for outside wood stuff. You would have to charge lots for the shop time, we built a booth for it to dry each night in. for 200 sheets you would have to rent space

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Mount some thin aluminum sheet onto the face and apply the vinyl to that.
Pre-mount the prints if they don't mind the fasteners showing.

wayne k
guam usa

HulkSmash

ok so,
its the airport. They're doing TONS of construction. They want to use their existing 200 sheets of wood they have. as is.

Told them nothing will really stick that long at all. Only way to do it is to let me prime them, and do it.. they rather do it as is, so i told them i'd check it out

ProWraps

use a product like arlon 8000. if the client is going to dictate how to do your job, right, wrong or indifferent, then they get no warranty.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Why not stretch printed scrim around them instead of using an adhesive backed media?

You don't even have to stretch it around the sheets. Just print the el cheapo banner material to size and glue and staple the snot out of them. I do this sort of thing for seasonal signs for the local chamber of commerce down to the village.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, isnt "Extira" any good?
I mean , yeah, you still have to put a coat of paint on it, but that's just sawdust and glue, isnt it???

Colorado, why couldnt it be PVC?

Extira has zinc borate in it. That makes a big difference. It is treated and has about a 1/4" built in sealant on all edges and faces to start with. You'll still need to give it a coat or two of top coat to be sure the vinyl will adhere properly. I didn't think he was using this when he mentioned composite, if someone is trying to save money. I'm only going by his facts and not adding any.

Besides, with the weight of it being tremendous, it makes for a very tough job to be handling them so much. You'll have arms like Popeye when you're finished with that job......