• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wrapping rubbermaid type material....

Vohaul

ok, so a growing part of my business is wrapping these high end hobby grade Remote controlled cards...1/5 scale and powered by by 2 stroke engines....

see the pic..
30261069_363270024156854_8945767233699708928_n.jpg

and if anyone is interested in seeing more of them...
https://www.facebook.com/pg/immersionsign/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1760874337460837

but i digress....some of these bodies like the one pictured are made of rubbermaid type plastics....so normal vinyl doesnt stick....

normally i use laminated hi tac vinyl with full print...but this latest customer wants real carbon fiber wrap..not available in a high tac vinyl..

My question is simply this....can i coat the rubbermaid body in the 3m adhesion promotor and use the carbon fiber vinyl...or do i need to primer the body with the hi tac vinyl and then cover it with the carbon fiber?

Thanks

Paul

Do an adhesion test and see. Coat an area with the primer, slap some carbon on, and see how well it adheres.

On a side note, how much do you usually charge to wrap those things? And how long do you have in it?

airborneassault

It would make the end product fairly thick/difficult to wrap with but could you laminate a real carbon film to an un-laminated high tack?

Vohaul

Do an adhesion test and see. Coat an area with the primer, slap some carbon on, and see how well it adheres.

On a side note, how much do you usually charge to wrap those things? And how long do you have in it?

typicially i charge between 120-200us (depending on art complexity and amount/type of overlay material...

those trucks are about 3 feet long for a size reference

design is usually 1-3 hours....and i don't usually install them myself, (well, some i do like the pic above)...i usually just ship to the customer and they do it.....

Vohaul

It would make the end product fairly thick/difficult to wrap with but could you laminate a real carbon film to an un-laminated high tack?
ya, if you look above, thats my second option..i dont really want to do it that way because after that and the overlays and other vinyl it does get pretty thick..