• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC-540 MAGENTA Half Firing and woes..

stevetekk

Hi folks,
I had an engineer replace the cyan head as it was banding. In the process he showed me the cable connecting to the head one of the end pins was bent. He said it wont be an issue though and continued the process. The head was in and firing perfect for about 10metres. Then Group A failed to fire altogether (both Cyan and Magenta).

Checked board which had fused on F1 and one of the transitors. He took the board away to get fixed, put it back in and everything was fine (for about 10 mins after he left). Now the Cyan is firing but only half of the magenta.
So I go ahead and open the cover to find he perhaps bridged the fuse and it has burnt out one of the black components on the heat sink (i believe it is).

It looks pretty badly burnt. Will I be best replacing the head board, or is it repairable. Also he didnt replace the cable that he said 'should be ok'. I am right in guessing it is the faulty cable on the cyan causing these issues?
I have attached pics for any help. I will order a new head board and cable connector for the cyan if you think this should do the trick? Its just a bit strange that its the magenta thats half firing if its a faulty cable on the Cyan?
I had no issues at all until the new head was fitted and I think the engineer might be doing more harm than good.
Any help would be great.

Thanks team,

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Stephen

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 357
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 347

Ragnabrok

thats pretty hokey service, the fuses even right from roland are a few bucks, and none of the ribbon cables are terribly pricey either.

while i've never replaced components of a board, i know people have with good success. a replacement head board is floating around a grand, while a single transistor (as long as thats all thats blown) is going to be a lot less.

stevetekk

Hi all, just a follow up. I decided to give replacing the transitors a go myself. I tested and both the burnt one and the one beside it was blown.

2 Transistors later, i realised the burn had damaged one of the trace lines on the board. Sent it off to a company in England for repair. It came back good as new (£477 inc vat). I replaced 2 cables from the cyan head (the one with the bent pin and the other to be sure) aswell as one that looked a bit dodgy from Magenta.

Inserted correct fuses and we are up and running again. It seems it was the cable from the cyan caused the fuse to go but because it was bridged by my 'engineer' it took down the board.

Hope this helps anyone else. Thanks for your help.