• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC-540... Time for a new head??

cgsigns_jamie

I've had my XC-540 for 3 years now (3 years, 4 months, and 6 days to be exact) and I've had ZERO problems thus far. However today I was printing some grey signs and noticed some terrible banding.

I did a test print and noticed I had "more than" a few nozzles misfiring on the black head (a few is usually normal). So I did a manual cleaning and let the printer follow up with a normal clean.

attachment.php

After the cleaning I did another test print and there was no change... let the printer do a Medium Clean... no change.

So now I'm thinking it may be time for a new head.. 3 years is a pretty good run.

The printer is still under factory extended warranty so I think (hope) it should be covered.

I wanted to see what the printer experts thought before I called my dealer to request a new head. I asked for a new one last year when I had about 7 nozzles that weren't firing and they said that was "normal" and a replacement head wouldn't be covered.

I print a lot of small text and black and white photographs, for me, it's important that the black head be perfect.

Attachments

• PrintTest.jpg
    PrintTest.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 1,306

CS-SignSupply

Should be covered - have the tech use the term, 'Permanently deflected nozzles'.

Might need to find out how many dots have been fired... if the number exceeds the recommended life of the head, you may have to pay. Warranty covers defective issues, not end of life issues.

cgsigns_jamie

There were only 350 hours on the entire machine last April when they did the annual cleaning. It's a pretty low use machine. I have been using it quite a bit the last couple months. May be up to 500 hours.

What you're looking at is two passes. The number of deflected nozzles is actually half of what you are seeing.
I would first put the printer into it's weekly clean. While the print heads are parked at the left grab a clean swab and soak it good with cleaning solvent then press it up against the bottom of the head several times... don't use scrubbing motions... just dab it. Finish up with your normal clean. Next I would run a couple of medium cleans to clear the cleaning fluid from the head. If this doesn't work then try a power clean on that bank. Just a heads up on this... the power clean will basically renew the ink in those lines.
If there still is no change after all that, I would call up your tech and have him come deal with it. Explain to your tech all that you have done and show him your prints that have been effected by this. If he is not able to clear up the problem and sees that it is affecting the quality of your prints then he will most likely replace the head... Providing there is no physical damage.

signgirl67

same problem

Hi, We are having the same problem with our prints and our test print looks the same. Did cleaning fix the problem or do you need to change the head? Thanks for any info.

cgsigns_jamie

I tried another head soak, 3 hours this time and there was ZERO change.
I've never done a powerful cleaning, always been told it's a waste of ink. If it wasn't still under warranty I'd probably try that next. For now I'm just going to let the dealer handle it.

I called my dealer and they said it sounds like it may be time for a new head. The tech will be here tomorrow morning to see what he can find, or replace the head if necessary.

I'll report back tomorrow and let you know how everything turns out.

cgsigns_jamie

The service tech just finished up (Awesome service, as always, by George with Florida Graphic Supply).

It was determined that the head just had some nozzles that were permanently clogged/deflected. He said it's common for the black to go first because the carbon in the ink.

He replaced the head (covered with my warranty) and now it's printing like brand new!

jasonx

I've had all the black heads replaced in my Rolands usually around the 2-3 year mark. The other colours have been fine.