• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC 540 Tool carriage separates from head carriage

Steven M Cox

Every time I go to print the tool carriage separates from the head carriage and I receive the "Carriages are Separated" error.

I've performed the limit initialization a few times with no improvement.

For some reason the "Test Print" button works on the machine itself and completes the test print, but when I submit a print or do a print test from Roland VersaWorks the tool carriage almost immediately separates from the head carriage.

Attached a video of it happening

Thx in advance,
Steve

Chad

Not sure if you figured this out but there is a sensor on the back of the head that may have fallen off.

jfiscus

Rap Master
When I used to deal with that error it was from the linear encoder sensor misreading where the head position was at; the carriages were physically still together, it just thought they were at different locations from the response from the encoder sensor. Dirty encoder or encoder reader eye/sensor is the culprit.

Steven M Cox

Not sure if you figured this out but there is a sensor on the back of the head that may have fallen off.
Are you referencing the encoder module?
When I used to deal with that error it was from the linear encoder sensor misreading where the head position was at; the carriages were physically still together, it just thought they were at different locations from the response from the encoder sensor. Dirty encoder or encoder reader eye/sensor is the culprit.
By "Dirty Encoder" are you referencing the Encoder Strip?

I'm assuming by "encoder reader eye/sensor" you are refencing the encoder module. Is it easy to take off and clean? I was unable to locate anything on Youtube or any good directions? Do you have to take off the entire carriage?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Are you referencing the encoder module?

By "Dirty Encoder" are you referencing the Encoder Strip?

I'm assuming by "encoder reader eye/sensor" you are refencing the encoder module. Is it easy to take off and clean? I was unable to locate anything on Youtube or any good directions? Do you have to take off the entire carriage?
I don't know on your particular printer, but on the one I had you just clean the strip behind the head (all the way across the printer). It's a little clear strip with a million thin vertical lines that indicate the head's location across the printer. There is a sensor on the back of the head that reads this to verify it is printing correctly as it moves back and forth. On the model I had I was able to take off the cover over the head/capping station and clean the sensor with the head parked. Clean with 60% rubbing alcohol, nothing stronger.

Terry01

The only time the head should disconnect, is when it is in the lock position and the cutter needs to move independently, eg: scanning crop marks, width or cutting etc. The head carriage is only attached to the cutter carriage with a magnet. If it releases any other time, something is preventing the print carriage from moving. Check the lock freely releases, check bearings are clean and lubricated on both cutter and print carriages. Ensure everything moves freely..

Steven M Cox

I don't know on your particular printer, but on the one I had you just clean the strip behind the head (all the way across the printer). It's a little clear strip with a million thin vertical lines that indicate the head's location across the printer. There is a sensor on the back of the head that reads this to verify it is printing correctly as it moves back and forth. On the model I had I was able to take off the cover over the head/capping station and clean the sensor with the head parked. Clean with 60% rubbing alcohol, nothing stronger.
I'm assuming the spray contact cleaner would also be alright to use for cleaning? Thoughts???

Steven M Cox

So..... I finally got tired of trying everything under the sun, multiple times, and nothing working.

And... did a factory reset.

Now I am stuck trying to get the Linear Encoder setup to work. I've cleaned the strip, just have taken off the encoder reader/module and cleaned. Continue to receive "Setup Failed"

The carriage never detaches though.

Maybe this is what has been wrong with the machine all this time.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I am pretty sure you can flip the encoder strip over on your machine also while you wait on a replacement strip. The end at the capping station you will have to put a hole in the other side to re-mount it flipped, but otherwise it is pretty simple. After you clean/flip/replace the strip you have to go into maintenance mode and do a linear calibration test on the machine.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Have you tried separating them by hand when the machine is off to see if the magnet that connects them together is dirty and not keeping them together properly?

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
Does the carriage move smoothly or is it hanging up on the bearing rail? If you turn the power off you can check the cut carriage that's attached to the belt and the print head carriage separately. If the bearing rail is hanging things up that can cause a separation issue as well.

Steven M Cox

Yes, it moves smoothly and freely.

I did find this in the service manual

0106Machine fails to
disconnect the Tool
Carriage from the Head
Carriage.

Fault of Tool Carriage Connection
Loose of Connection Part
Fault of the Limit Position Initialize value
Limit Sensor does not work correctly or is
broken.

Check the mechanical Backlash or loose with the Tool Carriage part.
Connection Part Replacement
Limit Position Initialize

It's close but I don't know what they mean by the following:

or

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
Okay...

So. 1) The magnet might not have a good connection between the carriages. 2) if you have replaced the encoder strip then the sensor may be dirty or out of alignment. That's the one on the back of the print carriage that the encoder strip slides through. sometimes if they are crooked or rubbing on the encoder it will fail. There is a home sensor on the back of the body that the cut carriage flags. If this is not working but the home sensor for the print carriage is... then it throws things off. Or it could be the other way around.

The #2 scenario is less likely. Those sensors don't tend to go bad, but it's possible.

Most often this is an encoder strip / sensor issue.

Steven M Cox

I replaced the encoder and reader and it passed the test.

In my previous post do you know what they mean by the following:

or

Also, is that an electromagnet that connects the tool carriage to the head carriage?

Terry01

I replaced the encoder and reader and it passed the test.

In my previous post do you know what they mean by the following:

or

Also, is that an electromagnet that connects the tool carriage to the head carriage?
Not electro, the print carriage locks and the cutter carriage then moves independently. If you watch closely, when you do a print, the carriages move back towards the control panel just slightly to unlock the print carriage.