• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help XR-640 Blue Color Issue

Hello,

So I'm getting ready to print some sets of cornhole boards for a new client and they asked me to run a sample blue as they're switching vendors to me just to make sure color's aren't too far off. The other client is using a Mimaki CJV150-130 and I'm using the XR-640. I'm having troubles hitting that "royal blue" it's printing more of a purple. I understand this machine is older and I've never really noticed it to now, it maybe the customer is really picky but just figured I'd reach out for any assistance.

Attached are some prints and the file I'm using, tried exporting a .jpeg, .eps & .pdf all of them are printing the same coloration.

I'm printing on Arlon 4600GLX as the customer has used this for his other boards and likes it, and I have the printer profiles directly from Arlon into Versaworks 6. Any pointers are much appreciated, I asked another local buddy who has a sign shop and he can't figure it out either. I'm running CMYKLcLmLk+Clear

Attachments

• IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 162
  • BLUES.pdf
    900 bytes · Views: 143

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Had a look at your file, there are no pantones embedded.
What is your target color? "Royal Blue" is pretty vague, but generally does have lots of magenta and does have an almost purplish color.

We've got an XR-640 as well and I find the colors are fairly accurate even when using canned profiles, but you need to give it a target color (pms) to aim for.

The Pantone they're currently looking for is PMS286C

It can vary and I apologize for not stating this prior. I feel like it's printing more of the "magenta" than I can remember atleast, looking at the images I can closely view and see the "magenta" streaks almost fading through.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
The Pantone they're currently looking for is PMS286C

It can vary and I apologize for not stating this prior. I feel like it's printing more of the "magenta" than I can remember atleast, looking at the images I can closely view and see the "magenta" streaks almost fading through.

Okay great, so you have a target color. Looking at my pantone swatch book, looks like the cmyk equivalent is quite dull/out of gamut for that color.

Do you work with Roland Color System Library? Looking at one of my charts, looks like PR24-K would be a close match.

I would try creating a swatch of PMS 286C and RVW-PR24-K and print them out to see how they compare to that pantone color.

If they're off, at least since you're using spot colors you can edit the output cmyk values in versaworks.

So I did the PMS 286C in illustrator then saved it as a .pdf and brought it into Versaworks. Thankfully that hit a very nice color as it convereted it to a Spot Colour for me.

Think this have did the trick, just need to save this colour for all projects.

Attachments

• Spot Colour.PNG
    Spot Colour.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 152
Thank you so much!

Off-topic since you have a XR-640. Have you been able to perform a full Perf Cut punching through the paper and all? I'm trying to get my machines to do better. I feel like when its running it like does a start stop start stop. Typically I'm using IJ35C with 8508 for this.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You're welcome!
We honestly haven't tried to mess with Perf cut that much on our Rolands. We've run maybe a couple hundred decals that way and I was never really satisfied with the results.

We just added a Summa F series flatbed cutter so now we can easily through cut all our decals, works awesome. (Sorry, not really helpful I know)

You could try starting a new thread about the Perf cut settings, I'm sure there are some members that can help you out with that.

Trust me, I've read alot. People aren't happy with the quality of them. from there machines, a lot of people have a separate cutter they love to push through all decals with.