• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XR-640 print quality issues starting to appear

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys/gals, I have an XR that is starting to get some age on her and I was wondering is anyone had some ideas of things I need to try. I do my best to keep a clean machine inside and out, and stay pretty current with all of the consumer based consumables, but I feel like it is time to get a little more serious about it. I have been using Rolands for about 15 years, so I am familiar with replacing several things on my old SP, but I really haven't had to do much with this one so far.

The issues I am starting to have are some smears, and banding, but not all the way through the width of the print, and not all of the time. Printing on high speed is pretty much out of the equation anymore. I know my test print isn't the best, and I have had some head strikes over the years but no visible damage. If it needs a head, I will have one put in it, I was just wondering for any other ideas I may need to try. The other day I cleaned the encoder strip, replaced both wiper and felt, did a manual cleaning and replaced the sponge, all to no change. I have not done captops or dampers or anything more major like that. Thanks

Attachments

• Resized_20200929_102711.jpeg
    Resized_20200929_102711.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 143

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
After doing a manual clean around the head and caps do a powerful clean. See if things change. If so then you are on the right path. It's also possible the head is scratched. If that's the case then you may need to replace. Sometimes just a cap and using a syringe can get the flow back though. I would exhaust those options first, of course. Money...