• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

yard card signs and big head /fat head signs

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Can I get a hand held saw to cut coroplast into shapes? Does anyone have a recommendation of a good one? I have customers who want some cut out shapes and I wanted to do them myself.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We do alot of these but cut them all on our zunds. I would look for something very sharp with very small teeth. Maybe a hobby saw? That will give you a cleaner edge I would think.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Personally, I'd use just about anything besides coro. Why not use foam board and an exacto? Single sided acm and a jigsaw? Pvc and a jigsaw. Coro cuts like shit.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
An exact-o knife should work for a few cut-outs. A shop near me does their one-off standees that way. Anything bigger than a couple pieces takes too much time so they send them over to me to run on a cutting table.

Lance

Can I get a hand held saw to cut coroplast into shapes? Does anyone have a recommendation of a good one? I have customers who want some cut out shapes and I wanted to do them myself.
Is it multiple qty of the same shape ?
Several pieces of coro stacked between a coupla bits of thin ply and cut with a jigsaw perhaps ?

jimbug72

You can cut it with a jig saw. It's not the best method, but it does work, if your clients aren't going to be super picky. I'd recommend putting down clear premask, or paper if your cut lines are dark enough, on top so the saw plate doesn't scuff/scratch your prints. We don't do these a lot, but sometimes a customer wants an order not worth outsourcing and are willing to settle for some "imperfect" cuts.

I used to use fine toothed metal cutting blades but I've recently found this blade (or any sharp similar toothed blade) seems to generate the least amount "fuzzies" around the cut. A light dusting with sandpaper will help remove extra "fuzzies" if desired.

signheremd

For small runs we have done in shop. Printed sign on coro with an outline and trimmed to outline using an exacto. For big runs we farm them out.

JR's

Carpet Cutting Hook Blade Oscillating Tool.jpg
Carpet Cutting Hook Blade Oscillating Tool works good. need to practice.
Dremel MM430 Multi-Max Multi-Knife.jpg

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
What Jimbug said about the jigsaw...yup

I did around 30 of them on foamboard and hand cut with an exacto - they turned out great! It only takes 1-2 minutes but my hand hurt after about 3 of them. Using some kind of knife with coro, you should make sure you have extra hands to replace yours cuz they will be sore, hard to cut coro in rounded shapes. Allow some time in-between to rest.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Personally I'd rather not 'waste my time' making them, more so spend your time drumming up a large order, shove them over to firesprint, make out like a bandit in the end. The labor to do one by hand vs an order of 50 with the proper equipment would be close.
Ideally you do this just like cut contour graphics, but instead you have a router/tangential knife cnc setup that reads the registration marks and automatically cuts them out. It's dynamite to watch it happen, then really depressing to imagine doing it by hand again.
Not to deter you though, I'd make an attempt with an xacto or straight knife, finish up large sections with a jigsaw with a high tooth plastic blade.
ACM and a jigsaw would work, but be 3x the cost in materials.
your answer wins lol

jimbug72

Carpet Cutting Hook Blade Oscillating Tool works good. need to practice.
1:50 for the good stuff
Welp... Looks like I'm investing in one of these setups. Been thinking of getting me one of the oscillating doo-dads and modifying a blade to sand some hard to reach areas of some bowls i've carved. Seeing that hook blade perform just turned that tool into a necessity in my tool arsenal.

Thanks JR!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Welp... Looks like I'm investing in one of these setups. Been thinking of getting me one of the oscillating doo-dads and modifying a blade to sand some hard to reach areas of some bowls i've carved. Seeing that hook blade perform just turned that tool into a necessity in my tool arsenal.

Thanks JR!
The funniest thing about this video is the end LOL

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

Thanks JR!
We are totally about to do this with christmas yard decorations.