• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your favorite method to create cut contour lines?

Freese

Seems everybody does it their own way, and I am fairly new to print to cut.

I use Adobe Illustrator, so I guess I am asking the most efficient way to do it this route.

Also another print/cut question;

I use Onyx10 with an L25500 but also use Illustrator.

With a Graphtec FC8000, I can cut from Illustrator or Onyx Cut Server.

Anybody have a preference on which method to go in this case?

Appreciate all the help

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Hands down...AutoCAD...it's absolutely precise when I need it to be, plus it allows me the artistic flexibility to do bezier curves for free-form designing. It has a lot of other goodies not included in most design software. It (ACAD) "plays" very nicely with Adobe Illustrator and SignLab with nearly flawless .dxf / .dwg importing and exporting.

As you may already know, there's no single program that does absolutely everything...so that's why I especially appreciate the common ground between them.

99% all of our (non-text) artwork that gets waterjet or laser cut is done on AutoCAD.

JB

stephenj148

Hmmm. never thought of AutoCAD, I know of it, not familiar with it (or own it)

I personally have grown into using illustrator. I can quickly set up contourcut lines and I can organize everything the way that I'm COMFORTABLE. (I all capped that because I think its the most important piece) I've been learning on illustrator, I'm also a Graphic Designer so for me, Illustrator is my program

Aklaim

in Illy: Object< Path< Offset Path. Either a tad outside, or inside (negative) depending on what exactly I need to cut. And just for reference, I use the exact same equipment you do.

Custom_Grafx

I also use illustrator. Not always but sometimes I like to use a separate layer for the cutline. I also recently made an action in illy which adds a bleed and the cutline in one step. It saves me time and it also means I don't need to teach someone how to do it.

Freese

I also use illustrator. Not always but sometimes I like to use a separate layer for the cutline. I also recently made an action in illy which adds a bleed and the cutline in one step. It saves me time and it also means I don't need to teach someone how to do it.
Mind teaching us? :thankyou:

Nishan

drs6222 .. If you are doing a lot of print and cut then, Onyx cut server is the way to go. Especially where we print on 3 different machines and cut on just one (mimaki, latex, durst) . All the cutfiles are nicely queued up together with their matching barcodes. U can just manually punch the barcode number - no need for a scanner. Also watch out for the shrinkage and "smily face " from the latex.

Bly

Just one CutServer trap to avoid - if I use a CutContour outline I've had it do a double cut, so use a fill instead with no outline.

Freese

The cutting master 2 plugin for Illy is much more accurate than Onyx cut server is.

Yea, but I am not a huge fan of that software.

I have yet to run into an issue cutting from cutserver, and I like using it because I am ripping/printing from it as well

Freese

Been using cut server alot lately and I definately prefer it to Illustrator and Cutting master.

One thing I still struggle with is generating cut lines in Illustrator. My lack of finesse skills of Illustrator definitely hurt me.

One thing I was curious of (and rather than creating the cutline from a pen tool manually), if I make 2 shapes and overlap them (and group them), how do I generate a line that outlines the whole shape, rather than both individually.

Thanks alot guys, and gals

Aklaim

Been using cut server alot lately and I definately prefer it to Illustrator and Cutting master.

One thing I still struggle with is generating cut lines in Illustrator. My lack of finesse skills of Illustrator definitely hurt me.

One thing I was curious of (and rather than creating the cutline from a pen tool manually), if I make 2 shapes and overlap them (and group them), how do I generate a line that outlines the whole shape, rather than both individually.

Thanks alot guys, and gals

Create a new layer, and copy the shapes to the new layer. Use the weld tool in pathfinder to make them one piece. Remove the fill, and set your CutContour spot color to the stroke. There's your cut line.

Freese

Create a new layer, and copy the shapes to the new layer. Use the weld tool in pathfinder to make them one piece. Remove the fill, and set your CutContour spot color to the stroke. There's your cut line.
:U Rock:

I need to learn how to trace as well. I feel like tracing and creating cut contour lines are somewhat similar and I need to freshen up on both!

Aklaim

It also helps if you lock or turn off the layer of the art/image you are wanting to contour cut. Locking prevents you from accidentally working on the wrong layer. Naming your layers is also helpful so you can see what is what.

skdave

My favorite way is to Email them to a guy I India and get them back perfect the next morning, for $4.50. :peace!: