• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your thoughts on metallic solvent (eco) printing

chopper

Since Roland has introduced this new product:
http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/xc540MT/

I'd like to know if you guys think there will be a demand for this type of printing. There are a couple of examples on the page and I've seen the prints in person. They are sharp.

My thought is that this will be useful with wraps, labels and stickers.

What about you?
I think it may be a fad and fade away. .....
but we will see
//chopper

mark in tx

I would worry about being able to proof the metallic effect to the customer accurately.
Other than that, it is going to be a selling point, especially for the early adopters.
But dropping another 40k on the machine is going to be tough for a lot of companies right now.
Pretty sure the large scale vehicle wrap sellers will jump on this.

Last edited:
i think the new technology is neat ... just because it is new, but i really dont see a high demand for it.

for example 15 yrs ago when cut vinyl was the major means of producing signs of all of my vinyl sales to sign shops i would say that less than 5% of my vinyl sales were metallic colors (and that is being aggressive).

i could see some demand in the auto industry, trucking, striping. and then some demand for labels, decals, etc. but other than that just here and there just because it is available and a client says ok

speedmedia

I think it is a cool idea and would like to play around with it but I do not think demand will be enough to purchase one at least not for us.

I would rather see a printer that puts down a varnish or laminate so rid of having to laminate prints after the fact.

Thanks,
Kurt

animenick65

Unless you had a great niche market around you for metallic prints, then it could be tough to get a return on your investment. This would be a great machine for people looking to do lots of outsourcing. I could see a merchant member getting some outsourced jobs making some decent money with this.

Mark Your Space

Thank you all very much for your opinions. I really appreciate it.

I'm leaning against it right now because of the huge premium over the soljet 3 xc.

Biker Scout

This is the same way that 4-Over does their faux metallic inks, with silver. I'm in the print and design business, for the most part, and I've yet had a reason to use their ink, and it doesn't really cost me anything to use it. I can't find a client that could benefit from this... most are concerned with bottom line, and just getting the product out.

You know who could benefit from faux metallics... people who mock up package design. Maybe ad agencies, prototypers etc.

However, after reading the Roland site about the printer, it does come in two flavors... Metallic Silver & White OR White & White! Now, that's something to consider being in the sign business. Especially if they've managed to improve on Mimaki's success in the white ink arena. Granted, they've been plagued with the whole clogging issue, and if Roland learned from that, well, I'd say it's a contender. Forget silver... that's just a bell and whistle.

heyskull

I'm going to add my bit here....
I've watched this roland machine being launched and wondered why no one has asked how do the print heads not get blocked?
I thought all metallic finishes had traces of metal (aluminum) to give them this finish.
Surely this would block the heads?!!!
I think it is a gimmick and probably will cost a lot to run as it has to print white down before the metallic finish and then colour !
Colour matching will take on a whole new ball game as it's hard enough already without adding in metallics !!!!!

SC

SE SignSupply

I'm going to add my bit here....
Surely this would block the heads?!!!
I think it is a gimmick and probably will cost a lot to run as it has to print white down before the metallic finish and then colour !
SC

The heads have not been the issue in the past, it's the ink settling in the lines. Roland now has pumps that recirculate the ink in the system. This saves ink, as it does not have to be purged from the system to stir the ink.

No need to put down white before the metallic, metallic is plenty opaque.

Mark Your Space

Anyone out there doing a lot of wraps? What are your thoughts on this. Do you think your customers would like these inks to help differentiate themselves?

Sign Ninja

1 to 3 years?

Isn't that a little vague, being tripled?

Like if a doctor asked for your weight and you said 100-300 lbs, he'd be like wtf?