• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your Top-Ten Fonts?...

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Most graphics people will freely acknowledge their taste in type will continually change. Championing certain typefaces as part of a "top 10" or just labeling them "the best" is pretentious. A "worst 10" list can be equally as pretentious.

However, I see no harm in people listing typefaces they regard as personal favorites, which is what I did. Anyone who doesn't like that can just keep on not liking it for all eternity. I don't care.

I, too, have a strong dislike or even hatred for certain fonts.

Arial is something I never use by choice. It is a ugly, Frankensteined font Monotype threw together as a cheap substitute for Helvetica. It has the same metrics as Helvetica while trying to grab style cues from Helvetica, Akzidenz Grotesk and Univers. The end result is not very attractive and has no unique personality to it. I could list 100 different sans serif families I would use before ever using Arial.

I also dislike Arial because I associate it with so many horrible looking sign designs I've seen over the years. Bold and Black weights of Arial are the most common fonts I see squeezed and stretched in retarded font murdering fashion. It seems to be the font of choice in schlock design.

Comic Sans, Kids, Hobo and a few others reside on that "must not use" list as well. I, too, am tired of faces like Brush Script and Mistral.

There's a certain number of typefaces out there which I like, but also don't use very much at all since they've been used to death and often used badly. Faces like Copperplate, Serpentine, Bodega Sans and Trajan fall into that category.

One thing that has turned me off to some typefaces is when I see horrid combinations. A competitor in my city who mainly just makes banners often likes to use Serpentine, Arial Black and Brush Script together in the same design. And then he'll sometimes throw Bitstream's Bremen Black in there for good measure. His lack of design sense has visually toxic consequences.

Geary

Yes it is JKKT....and to me....more interestingly are the over-reaction statements to fonts people wouldn't use in no way whatsoever. I've found that in nearly 40 years of sign lettering and logo design that ANY typeface can be used for spectacularly pleasing header or arrangements. It's as many also have mentioned here....."it all depends". You show me any type face and I can make a pleasing/workable design with it according to the application.

EnergyDesign

Helvetica Nue
LHF Boston Truckstyle
LHF Conveteca
Dutch Extra Bold
Arial Black
Edwardian
Arlon Pro
Chauncery
Franklin Gothic when it is useful
LHF SarahScript nue
** for the bonus round**Ringmaster when it is useful