• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Z6100 Printhead Alignment: why so much media?

Steenland

Old Member
Does anyone know why the Z6100 sometimes requires 10 feet of media to do a printhead alignment? I would like to align the printheads more often, especially for some of the fabric media I use, but I sure can't afford to have it blow through ten feet of it!

The User Manual says this:
"NOTE: Occasionally, if the paper in the printer is very close to the beginning of a roll, the front panel might report that the printer needs to feed up to 3 m (≈ 10 ft) of paper before starting the printhead alignment. This is necessary to ensure a successful alignment. You can continue with the printhead alignment and allow the printer to feed as much paper as necessary, delay the alignment until later, or cancel the alignment."

In my experience, the printer will do this even when it's not "very close to the beginning of a roll." And once it starts, there's no way to cancel it (that I have found) except to pull the plug (or hit the switch in back, which is impossible to reach).

Two questions:

1. Why does it need to advance so much media before beginning the aligment? My older Designjets didn't need to do this.

2. Has anyone found a consistent way to convince the printer that it doesn't need to advance all that media before doing the alignment?

Thanks!!