• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1 Shot not drying thread...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

About a week ago there was a thread about 1 Shot drying problems people were having. In the past few days I've made an interesting discovery. When I pinstriped out of new, freshly opened cans it dried within 1 1/2 hours in 85 degree heat. When I used cans where I had to take a palette knife and cut out a dried paint hamburger from the can those colors stayed tacky about 4 hours. These were old cans of paint that were carelessly closed up the last time I used them years ago. So, it could be a combination of age of the paint and the additive that makes it dry being thrown out in the thick skin I discarded. Just thought I'd let ya know.

Mosh

I thought I was the only one who cut "hamburgers" out of one shot and still used it....
good to know I was not alone in the world.

deegrafix

That was my post. It took 36 hours for that paint to dry but it did. I did cut a pretty thick hamburger out that can but nothing new about that for me. Maybe one too many hamburgers???

Rusty Sign

Yep, it's because the hardener in paint works it's way to the top and each time you throw out the hamburger (I like that term!) you lower the quality of the paint. What we do is... rather than take the lid off the can, we drill two holes in the lid. One to pour the paint out of and one to vent. Then put screws in those holes when you're done. It's quick, fairly clean, and much easier to keep a good seal over the years. Yes, I said years... we don't use One Shot very often any more. And of course if you need to paint a large area you take the lid off.

OldPaint

i worked at NAPA for years. was couterman, outside sales. and body shops was best. got sent to MARTIN SENOUR paint school. also mixed a lot synthol enamel, acrylic enamel & real lacquer paint. lacquer paint is the only paint from the factory that is complete witjh all chemicals to produce removal of flow vehicles so it can dry to a hard non liquid state.
regular enamel and acrylic when mixing colors for different vehicles, all formulas had a quantity of what is called DRYER. since i have mixed auto paint from maine to florida, this chemical and its quantity in the paint would make dry time what it is. in maine we used to use less of it to get a glass like finish. paint had more time to "flow" once it was sprayed. in florida, we add more, because of the high temps. i painted my 64 ford with acrylic enamel & hardner, was driving it 2 hours later. also i have a can of that "dryer" chemical somewhere in my paint cans. if you know any auto paint stores that mix paint, ask them for a pint of acrylic enamel dryer. it can be added to one shot, to help promote drying.

Jillbeans

I push the "hamburger" back into the paint with a screwdriver, then strain the paint.
New or old-new version though I still have issues with 1S.
We could all use the Joe Chips/Jeff Lang method.
Open your new can.
Throw in two brand new stainless steel or galvanized nuts or washers.
Tightly re-seal with a hammer.
Screw a self-tapping screw into the can.
Shake the can.
When you want paint, unscrew the screw and pour out your paint.
Then screw the screw back in.
You can even put a piece of tape over the screw.
(sorry for using the word screw so much)
This would probably not work as well if you are coating out a big panel.
Love....Jill