• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

12 -15 feet of banner roll ends are garbage!!

gabagoo

Is it traditionally accepted that when we purchase rolls of banner that we are expected to throw away the last 10 to 15' of material as it usually has a crease that runs across the banner causes by the first X amount of winding? Does that make any sense? probably not. In any case I have 2 rolls of this pet 15oz (and it aint cheap) I use it for retractables and there is about 15 feet left on each which would make 4 banners. This stuff has a line running through each wind of the roll and heavy duty modelling.

Do I accept it as thats the way it is or do I try and get some $$$ credited to the next roll? The second roll here that I have is exactly the same.

Maybe over time it will go away but I cant chance that on a retractable that gets shipped across the country. I now label them as freebie or charity rolls. lol

Tim Aucoin

I've found that to be true for the material I use also. Last 10 or so feet are useless! Asked my supplier about it one time and got the explanation that they don't actually start the measurement count on material until a few rolls around the core... anywhere from 3-8 feet. Well, how can we know that for sure? When is the last time any one of us unwound a new roll of banner material to measure it??:doh: What I've done is based my cost on the roll at 5% less length than ordered to allow for waste. The waste is pretty much built into my selling prices, so I'm not really losing any $$$.

CentralSigns

I hang it out and run a blow dryer across the seams. It makes the seams less noticeable. I then save it for the elcheapo jobs, you know, the ball teams, hockey kids that want a banner for fundraising. But I could actually sell the stuff, as after a bit it looks fine.

Rooster

Print one as is and let it sit overnight and see if the creases come out.

I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the winding of the material around the small core in the roll up stand should be enough to remove the crease. Especially by the time it has reached your customer on the other side of the country.

Since you have everything there to test it, print a test and see what happens. Then let us know if it worked.

omgsideburns

no problems with key. it's simply taped to the core. only waste a few feet because once it pops off the core my printer goes crazy.