• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

15" punched convex vinyl with Mutoh VJ628

ddunn0707

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has run punched 15" vinyl in this machine, or similar machines. I am doing some mini football helmets for a client and I want to test this material but I don't want to buy $1000 worth of material to test. 15" punched is readily available to me in 10yds so I'd like to try it out. 15" X 10 yds is a perfect test size for me and reasonably priced if it doesn't work out.

I have been using laminated GF201AE with great success but I am looking for something a little more conformable.

I was also looking at Substance 444LSE but I'm not sure if it is conformable like their ultracurve. I need to keep total thickness with lam under 10mil which is why I'm not considering ultracurve.

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Saturn

Aging Member
Substance is usually pretty accommodating about cutting rolls down, so it might be worth asking one of the folks there if they can sell by the yard too. The answer is probably "no", but it would be worth the call or email.

I had a 628 and loved it. Never ran anything smaller than the 24" default, but I do remember it mentioning it could print at a pretty small width, and 15" I'm pretty sure would be fine.

The only reason I can think of that punched stuff would be problematic would be if the holes hit the side-guides, or run over a sensor. My gut says it would be fine, but I'd watch for anything that might cause a strike real close.

ddunn0707

Substance is usually pretty accommodating about cutting rolls down, so it might be worth asking one of the folks there if they can sell by the yard too. The answer is probably "no", but it would be worth the call or email.

I had a 628 and loved it. Never ran anything smaller than the 24" default, but I do remember it mentioning it could print at a pretty small width, and 15" I'm pretty sure would be fine.

The only reason I can think of that punched stuff would be problematic would be if the holes hit the side-guides, or run over a sensor. My gut says it would be fine, but I'd watch for anything that might cause a strike real close.
Thanks Saturn!

I called Substance on Friday and left a message but I haven't heard from them. I will give it another shot tomorrow. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I called Graphic Marking Solutions as well and they are also very accommodating. I didn't realize that they were the ones who made Convex Gear Wrap. He also seemed to think running the 15" punched wouldn't be an issue.

I have run 20" with no problems so I feel 15" shouldn't be a problem. I guess I will see. I was thinking almost the exact same thing as far as guides and media sensor; so it makes me feel good someone else had the same thoughts. I love the 628; I have 2 of them. I love the size and the performance of the machine, I just wish there was more media readily available in the 24" size.

If anyone has tried to run punched through their Mutoh I would love to hear how it worked out! Thanks again Saturn!

Saturn

Aging Member
You can probably find the minimum width printable in the manual/specs. I seem to remember thinking how cool it was that I could potentially use the 6" waste roll that was cut from a 30" roll. So I'm thinking the lower limit was 4-5" inches.

Yeah the 628 is a sleeper hit, if only because it can easily be installed up 5 flights of stairs in a closet. I think the printer itself is only 70+lbs, maybe 80-90 with ink. I've got an Epson 80600 now, and aside from the light colors helping with graininess, that little 628 put out some amazing work by comparison. It's still running along happily for the guy I sold it to as well.

Getting material is the biggest drawback... But like I said, as far as width goes, Substance does an EXCELLENT job of cutting full rolls down for customers. No charge, the cuts are as clean as the parent stock, and it typically adds ZERO time to getting the order fulfilled. I kind of doubt they'll do custom linear amounts, but who knows.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ddunn0707

You can probably find the minimum width printable in the manual/specs. I seem to remember thinking how cool it was that I could potentially use the 6" waste roll that was cut from a 30" roll. So I'm thinking the lower limit was 4-5".
I couldn't find the minimum printable width in the manual but I just measured the distance of the eye from the edge and it's about 6 inches form the right side. The holes on punched won't be over it. If the holes look like they will get hung on the guides I can just move the guides out of the way. I have run without the guides before. I have several 6" waste rolls in the closet. I thinks it's time to run some promo stickers! My cutter can run 4" width so it's time to do some tests.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Substance is usually pretty accommodating about cutting rolls down, so it might be worth asking one of the folks there if they can sell by the yard too. The answer is probably "no", but it would be worth the call or email.keep in mind he

keep in mind, he can always cut down the rolls with a chop saw. (there are numerous threads about this topic) removing the punched area, if this seems to cause a problem