• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1638x with one printhead

1608hs

Hello
Any idea how to usé m'y vj 1638x with one printhead.
(i removed thé burned printhead
)
Thanx

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i would think you would need to purchase a refurbished (used) head on ebay so the machine at least recognizes that it is present
then you can experiment with print quality settings, resolution & profiles

this should work for you with a minimum of trouble & expense

if it were me, i would go to digiprint or sign-in-china.com and look for a head for different mutoh's and see which ones are compatable

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you're using Flexi you can go into the printer options and select a single head to print with. It's in the same area where you choose the wave form. I've done it in Flexi but it might be doable in other RIPS as well.

1608hs

i would think you would need to purchase a refurbished (used) head on ebay so the machine at least recognizes that it is present
then you can experiment with print quality settings, resolution & profiles

this should work for you with a minimum of trouble & expense

if it were me, i would go to digiprint or sign-in-china.com and look for a head for different mutoh's and see which ones are compatable
Thanx m'y friend

1608hs

I know that but need to boot m'y machine with only one head attached
If you're using Flexi you can go into the printer options and select a single head to print with. It's in the same area where you choose the wave form. I've done it in Flexi but it might be doable in other RIPS as well.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I know that but need to boot m'y machine with only one head attached

Oh ok I understand now. It's probably giving you a head cable or head heat error then? Only way I know of is to get a defective head that isn't shorting out. It will satisfy the circuit requirement and override the errors.

1608hs

Oh ok I understand now. It's probably giving you a head cable or head heat error then? Only way I know of is to get a defective head that isn't shorting out. It will satisfy the circuit requirement and override the errors.
Can i use a Dx7 printhead picked from à mimaki printer ?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Not looking to hijack anyone else's thread, but
is there a roland, mutoh or mimaki that prints white with 2 dx5 heads?

i want to do another project machine.
i have several dx5's (aqueous) that i would like to change the manifold to solvent resistant
then, in a perfect world find a hopefully mutoh, with bad heads (ideally one that would print white)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
solventinkjet
no firmware issues with a mimaki printhead?
I wasn't sure

The only difference between a Mutoh and Mimaki DX7 is Mimaki puts a little memory chip on the cover that contains the head rank number. So going from a Mimaki to a Mutoh is super easy but going from a Mutoh to a Mimaki requires using an old head rank chip. As far as the head themselves though, they are identical in form and electronics.

1608hs

The only difference between a Mutoh and Mimaki DX7 is Mimaki puts a little memory chip on the cover that contains the head rank number. So going from a Mimaki to a Mutoh is super easy but going from a Mutoh to a Mimaki requires using an old head rank chip. As far as the head themselves though, they are identical in form and electronics.
So i can use a mimaki dx7 for m'y mutoh printer

netsol

Premium Subscriber
It appears, you would be in for $600 on eBay for a "refurbished dx7". Offer $500, but
BEFORE YOU DO THAT
go to eBay, search dx7 printhead.
For each listing for $85 cleaning service, contact seller, ask question > other
Ask if they can sell you a electrically good, detectable printhead that doesn't print
You have nothing to lose, the worse they can do is say no
And solventinkjet says you can print with one head
I have ony dx5's or I would give you one

(Make the "refurbishers" saved sellers. they can be a great resource for heads and sometimes other parts

1608hs

It appears, you would be in for $600 on eBay for a "refurbished dx7". Offer $500, but
BEFORE YOU DO THAT
go to eBay, search dx7 printhead.
For each listing for $85 cleaning service, contact seller, ask question > other
Ask if they can sell you a electrically good, detectable printhead that doesn't print
You have nothing to lose, the worse they can do is say no
And solventinkjet says you can print with one head
I have ony dx5's or I would give you one

(Make the "refurbishers" saved sellers. they can be a great resource for heads and sometimes other parts
Thanx

netsol

Premium Subscriber
1608, there is a Brite side.
If you buy a head, NOT INTENDING TO Try TO PRINT FROM IT,
you will be able to skip one of the most tedious alignment procedures known to man.
You will have practically immediate gratification, you will get to print "one headed", work your way through any other minor problems, then, after the printer has moved you "into the black" you will have the option of enhanced print quality and speed, as well as whites or metallics in exchange for a second working print head.

I will keep an eye on this thread, as I hope solvent inkjet will. I will help any way I can.

1608hs

1608, there is a Brite side.
If you buy a head, NOT INTENDING TO Try TO PRINT FROM IT,
you will be able to skip one of the most tedious alignment procedures known to man.
You will have practically immediate gratification, you will get to print "one headed", work your way through any other minor problems, then, after the printer has moved you "into the black" you will have the option of enhanced print quality and speed, as well as whites or metallics in exchange for a second working print head.

I will keep an eye on this thread, as I hope solvent inkjet will. I will help any way I can.
Thanx a lot m'y friend

1608hs

Install the head with New dampers and fcc cable
But no print
The carriage move normally but no ink out from head.
New damper
New fcc cable
Old Captop (can this make issues ?)

netsol

Premium Subscriber
are you sure one of the metallic foils on the ribbon cable didn't lift and short ?

that can be a very common problem

1608hs

are you sure one of the metallic foils on the ribbon cable didn't lift and short ?

that can be a very common problem
On m'y mutoh if lift or shot there is a message error (error head temp ).
But haven t this error m'y machine starts normally