• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1st time for me

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
This is the first time I've ever cut and installed a trailer with the corrugated sides. Is there a formula on how much longer the cut vinyl should be? Those corrugations look like they will shorten the text. And how much longer would an installation like this take?

And...they used CALANDERED vinyl a year ago on this trailer and it is all falling off! Any idea how i should charge for removal? And how to remove. Everything in their construction yard has letters falling off...i was thinking about buying the powered vinyl removal tool.

I appreciate any insite from anyone. I would really like this job to profitable and fairly priced for me and my customer. I know what i charge by the hour....i'm just unsure how long this one will take.

Thanks!

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 120

signmeup

Looks like if you wait a few days it will fall off.

I only do removal by the hour. They will complain and whine but no one else will give them a firm price either so stick to your guns.

Marlene

I only do removal by the hour. They will complain and whine but no one else will give them a firm price either so stick to your guns

+1

even if it looks like it is falling off it can be a real pain. make sure you have some good adhesive remover on hand.

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
I like the idea about the pressure washer. I'll check into the rental rates. The letters are about 17" tall by about 13' wide. I'm worried about the corrugations shortening the text. My buddy suggested i add 25% to the length. I thought that was excessive....except he's usually correct (i hate guys like that)

petepaz

never had to do this but i think if you measure the area including the corogation you should be able to use that measurment...i think

Attachments

• corogation.jpg
    corogation.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 89

petepaz

and the removal ...aaaahhhh.....hate removal.
depending on the job i charge approx $25 per hour
i did a regular 48ft trailer and charged $350 took me 3 days approx 5 hours each day and i had to remove the letters by have with a torch to soften them up...sucked!!! then preassure washed it with some adhesive remover, used a full gallon.
not the best, sometimes i think you should charge more for removal than install

CanuckSigns

and the removal ...aaaahhhh.....hate removal.
depending on the job i charge approx $25 per hour
i did a regular 48ft trailer and charged $350 took me 3 days approx 5 hours each day and i had to remove the letters by have with a torch to soften them up...sucked!!! then preassure washed it with some adhesive remover, used a full gallon.
not the best, sometimes i think you should charge more for removal than install

$25 an hour?!?! Mind if I call you next time we have a removal to do? We charge $80 an hour for removal for 2 reasons

1) Our shop rate is $65 an hour, add in some chizzlers and rapid remover you are at $85 pretty quick

2) I hate removals so I'm hoping they will pay some highschool kid $50 to strip it. :peace!:

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
As for 'shortening" via corrugation. Lay a piece of masking tape down to the trailer, going up and down the corrugation. Then measure out a foot or two (as the crow flies). and pull up the tape and measure it to see how much you've gained. Then do the math.

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Cross Signs! I'll apply a 4' pc of cheap vinyl on the corrugations and see what it measures out to. That solves it.

As for being a lousy job....yes but, if i price it correctly it will be fun!

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
Ok...we applied a 4' piece of vinyl onto the corrugation and we only lost 3"! Wow. I thought it would be more.

Thanks everyone for the help.

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
Last question! These guys have about 20 pieces of equipment that need the vinyl lettering replaced. All of them have marginal paint jobs at best. What is the best chemical to use for preparation? Prepsol? Alcohol? Sandblaster?! Just kidding.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
$70-$85+ an hour for removal is what most shops charge, some are $100+.
I always charge by the hour. Heat gun, torch, steamer, hot power washer, weed burner, choose your weapon and cover your butt for paint damage.

If the customer does the vinyl removal tell him he must also remove the adhesive.

As for the prep after removal. A good wash and a few alcohol cleanings...

On a side note:
The two color layered vinyl they are using on the green isn't working.
A single light color would have more pop and save them some $$$

westpointsigns

Power washer.
I bought my own from Wally's it was worth every penny and just charged an extra $180 to cover the cost + hourly rate.

Jgentry

Adhesive Removal - citrus based cleaner.
Prep - Maybe something like 3M Prep Solvent 70 followed by alcohol and toweled off.

Mosh

Tell them NO! sometimes it will cost you less to turn down a job!!!! If it were me I would make an aluminum sign and rivit it on the side. WAY LESS cost.

petepaz

$25 an hour?!?! Mind if I call you next time we have a removal to do? We charge $80 an hour for removal for 2 reasons

1) Our shop rate is $65 an hour, add in some chizzlers and rapid remover you are at $85 pretty quick

2) I hate removals so I'm hoping they will pay some highschool kid $50 to strip it. :peace!:

most of the removals i do are just truck doors small things like that and usually for big customers that we do there fleets so for the most part $25 hr isn't too bad. and i hate removals also i only did one once for a friend at the fire dept where i got killed (early in the truck lettering career) i had to remove some reflective from on side of the cheifs suburbon. horrible job

i think each job/removal has to be evaluated individually

sdwnymph

I find to do removal, try Goo Gone -got some from Walmart and used it... stuff just made the adhesive wipe right off as long on a vehicle w/ good paint. When used it on a trailer it took awhile, but it all came off. Plus GG is cheap :Cool 2:. But do agree w/ a previous post... I'd rather just put a metal sign on side, makes it easier and easier to read, but at same time if its a transported by train or boat type container, you prob wont be able to.