• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2 Color pinstriping

Stacey K

I like making signs
I don't do a lot of pinstriping. When I do I purchase it on a 150' roll with the clear tape and I'm able to do it pretty well, no complaints so far.

I have a customer with a 22' boat and he wants a 2" stripe then 1/2" space and then a second color in a 1/2" stripe. I feel like this is going to be extremely difficult to get that 1/2" between the colors. I'm not sure how to attack this. What if out of the second color I cut 2 - 1/2" stripes, so I can apply then remove the the center part?

Is there an easier way?

rjssigns

I don't do a lot of pinstriping. When I do I purchase it on a 150' roll with the clear tape and I'm able to do it pretty well, no complaints so far.

I have a customer with a 22' boat and he wants a 2" stripe then 1/2" space and then a second color in a 1/2" stripe. I feel like this is going to be extremely difficult to get that 1/2" between the colors. I'm not sure how to attack this. What if out of the second color I cut 2 - 1/2" stripes, so I can apply then remove the the center part?

Is there an easier way?
There are places that will make them for you. Hull Stripes is one of them. https://www.hullstripes.com/ Problem with the wide stuff is the compound curve at the bow. Takes time to get it to lay right.

The marina I work with usually orders the stripes for me.

If you want to look on your own look search for boot stripes. Not a typo they're actually called boot stripes and usually placed slightly above the chine.(waterline area)

BTW the really fun ones are five inch wide chrome with six other colors layered on top.

Stacey K

I like making signs
There are places that will make them for you. Hull Stripes is one of them. https://www.hullstripes.com/ Problem with the wide stuff is the compound curve at the bow. Takes time to get it to lay right.

The marina I work with usually orders the stripes for me.

If you want to look on your own look search for boot stripes. Not a typo they're actually called boot stripes and usually placed slightly above the chine.(waterline area)

BTW the really fun ones are five inch wide chrome with six other colors layered on top.
OMG...5" chrome with 6 layers??? That sounds challenging!

Yes-I am a bit concerned about the curve and there is a line in the boat currently with the stripe placed about an inch above it so at least I have something to go with. AWESOME on the info, I'm going to check that out. Here is a pic..I didn't think the curve was too bad bu with 2" I am still a bit nervous.
1650661255382.png

binki

I don't think you are far off on cutting a double for the spacer. I did this a while back on a truck but I didn't cut the spacer, just lined it up as I pulled the transfer tape off and did the lay down but that was in sections for the fender, doors and bed. At most I was at 3 or 4 feet.

I would think lay down the top color, do the spacer and bottom color together and lay it down and then remove the spacer. The other thing you can do is use a grease pen to mark the space at intervals and line up to that.

Of course part of the payment is a weekend on the boat at the sand bar!

rjssigns

OMG...5" chrome with 6 layers??? That sounds challenging!

Yes-I am a bit concerned about the curve and there is a line in the boat currently with the stripe placed about an inch above it so at least I have something to go with. AWESOME on the info, I'm going to check that out. Here is a pic..I didn't think the curve was too bad bu with 2" I am still a bit nervous.
View attachment 159082
There will be a shadow left from the old stripe. Makes a wonderful guide.
Super secret squirrel trick: Rip off tiny pieces of green or blue painters tape and place them where you want the top of the boot strip to land.

From the stern to roughly three quarters of the way to the bow will be gravy. From there forward take your time.
Don't pull then touch every few inches. It will look okay until you step back and realize every place you touched now has a dip or wobble.

Pull gently, lay it down, step back and check. You can induce bend(a good thing)into the stripe by doing this.
NO HEAT EVER! Stripe will stretch and end up with a narrow spot. Then it's junk.
Before doing the final squeegee sight bow to stern and stern to bow. Surprising what shows up from looking straight on.

Any boat longer than what you're working on goes way better, faster, smoother with two people.