• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2 Edge issues about cutting

GoodPeopleFlags

The first problem I'm having today involves the plotter not contour cutting a print correctly. See photo. These decals are about 2.25" x 3" ovals. The top one shows what it looked like printed. The bottom one shows after it was weeded and how the plotter didn't cut it correctly. It's hard to tell, but the left side cut fine. The right side isn't even an oval shape. See the arrow? Then on the lower right corner, the cut line actually misses the print altogether and you can see the white vinyl. I even had a bleed on them. I tried increasing the bleed and the same problem. I don't think that it's just not lined up correctly since the part where the arrow is pointing is actually "flat" - not the smooth oval shape.

We had some small circles to cut the other day and the same thing happened. Not only was it badly off, the circle wasn't close to a perfect circle. What's going on?

The other issue is one I had a couple of months ago about the plotter starting to cut a print, then abruptly stops and the plotter starts beeping. I thought I had it figured out: it would happen when I had our other plotter running, too. But now it happens when nothing else is running and on very simple files. We thought before that the queue just had too much going on but that's not the case now. Any ideas on that one?

Thanks! Sorry so long. It was hard to describe.

Attachments

• PlotterCut.jpg
    PlotterCut.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 136

GoodPeopleFlags

Oh! GSP 15 plus. It's been a workhorse for a looong time. Must be a plotter problem, ya think? The Edge is the original Edge.

What about when it abruptly stops cutting and beeps? That seems like a software problem but I don't know. This plotter is only used to contour cut printed stuff. We have a Graphtec for regular cutting.

Thanks!

Marlene

I have a HS 15 Plus that beeps and messes up when it needs to be cleaned. check the bar where the blade unit rides back and forth for bits of vinyl or dirt. I use 3 in one oil on a soft cloth to clean it. also check your tool holder to make sure it is lifting OK. I also had to set the speed down some and I run it all the time at 83% instead of 100%. all that fixed my issues. your looks kind of strange the way it cut that oval, not sure what that's about. have you tried running a test with an oval, not that one to see if it always cuts ovals like that or just this one.

Ken Sankey

I have a gsx and a gsx plus. One I just had serviced. One of the axis motors started to give problems resulting in cut issues like your mentioning. Possible it could just be a belt. Their is a wagon wheel test you can run to check some of these issues. Also, cut some basic shapes overlapping, cut only, then put your material on the bench run over it with a ruler check your measurements against what your screen has. Should be a good indication of where your off. Mine was more than 1/2" in some cases. Best of luck.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You would benefit from updating the equipment and software sections of your Signs 101 profile. I specifically decided against offering any suggestions because you list only a Graphtec and FlexiSign.

Marlene is giving you the best starting point. Gerber plotters are built like tanks but they get cranky when not kept clean and lubed.

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks Fred! I'll do that. I had a Graphtec and Flexisign at another sign shop. When I moved and got another job I forgot to update that. Thanks for the reminder!