• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2-sided banner: heat setting?

Colin

I’ve never printed a 2-sided banner before, so bought the 18 oz material for this 3’ x 25’ job. For printing the second side, should I have the heat on the printer set a little lower than normal? I’m just thinking that my normal setting of 45 degrees might affect (soften/smudge) the ink on the down-side.

(Roland SP-540i)

Last edited:

FatCat

FWIW - we run Mutohs here, should be similar to your Roland. Never had an issue with the heavier 18oz blockout, we typically run it at normal banner temps. However, we have found using lighter weight double-sided blackouts like 15oz and especially 13oz, we tend to drop the heat considerably to reduce material buckling. Its also helpful to allow the lighter weight banner materials to outgas overnight before running them back through, especially on heavy coverage. Just what we have learned..

Colin

Thanks. Yes, I've let the banner dry over the weekend, fortunately it isn't a rush job. Would you say that there's an advantage in not using the take-up reel? It seems to me that the less the material is being pulled tight onto the surface of the printer the better. I could just babysit it and manually roll it up as it prints.

FatCat

Really depends on your take-up system. Ours is fairly light, so not really had a lot of problems with it. However, I will say that we typically run all the fronts if doing several double sided banners and then cut them apart and run them 1 at a time for the 2nd side...

Colin

Yes, but what about when you're printing the second side? Doesn't that high temp. affect the ink on the down side?

phototec

Never done a 2-sided banner before, I have a Roland SP540V, what is the process to get the back side image to line up with the pre-printed front side image?

Is there soe function in VersaWorks that will help with the registration?

Colin

^^^ Not sure what you mean; the second side will not line-up with the first side unless it was printed in reverse, which would not be done. We're printing on 18oz blockout material.

phototec

^^^ Not sure what you mean; the second side will not line-up with the first side unless it was printed in reverse, which would not be done. We're printing on 18oz blockout material.

Here is what I'm asking: If I print a 36" x 72" full bleed banner on 38" wide banner material I can tell VersaWorks to center the image on the banner media (L to R). Later when I remove the banner and let it out-gas and then flip it over and load it back into the printer the image will be centered left to right, however what is the best way to line up the back side starting edge with the pre-printed starting edge of the full bleed image on the bottom so they line up, because you can see through the banner material.

Attachments

• Troy Youth Football & Cheer Banner.jpg
    Troy Youth Football & Cheer Banner.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 141

Colin

If I'm understanding you, I would simply make a mark with my Stabilo pencil, and start the print there, and if it's off by a hair, just trim it.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
I set the edge of my banner material to the edge of my platen and print the 1st side (I know that to be 15.5" to start of print), I then trim exactly that off the end off the print and line that edge up to the edge pf the platen for the 2nd side imprint.

FatCat

I set the edge of my banner material to the edge of my platen and print the 1st side (I know that to be 15.5" to start of print), I then trim exactly that off the end off the print and line that edge up to the edge pf the platen for the 2nd side imprint.

Yes, this is exactly what we do - need to do the math in your head and use physical alignment to get it right. I find the RIPS tend to vary in their accuracy when you tell them to "center" a print, sometimes its a 1/4" or more off, and that is no good. Line it up to a particular spot on your platen front to back and you should be good.