• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

$3.000 joke!

S

Sign-Man Signs

Flame, you know the saying...Opinions are like...
If the guy doesn't like it why bitch about it all the freaking time. Just get rid of it and buy something else. I love my $300.00 Emachine. When they break, which is rarely, I just toss it and get a whole new system which includes

19' flat screen HD monitor ( it alone cost $290.00 )
Ink jet printer
keyboard
optical mouse
cheap ass speakers

Best Buy cost $297.00.
And how much did your computer cost? I quite buying custom build computers a few years ago since they are now disposable.

Flame

Flame, you know the saying...Opinions are like...
If the guy doesn't like it why bitch about it all the freaking time. Just get rid of it and buy something else. I love my $300.00 Emachine. When they break, which is rarely, I just toss it and get a whole new system which includes

19' flat screen HD monitor ( it alone cost $290.00 )
Ink jet printer
keyboard
optical mouse
cheap ass speakers

Best Buy cost $297.00.
And how much did your computer cost? I quite buying custom build computers a few years ago since they are now disposable.

My e-machine fried 3 times, costing me a couple days work in total. So I took the case, and built a $550 super computer with some leftovers, good deals and a couple parts from Tiger Direct. A quote from the local PC shop "they seriously still sell these?"

lol.

Yep, everyone has their own opinion and I think we both know each others now, eh?

I was having a ton of trouble with Flexi until my (now fired) employee nagged me enough to upgrade the computer with more ram and a better video card. It made a difference, but for the $800 I spent on upgrades I still wasn't thrilled with how it handles large files.

In fact today I was having all kinds of "not responding" messages and had to restart over and over. One thing I found is that production manager (at least IMO) doesn't like to keep a lot of large files sitting in waiting. Since I couldn't get it work, I had to find the folder where it kept them all, delete and start fresh.

I agree with Flame that Flexi has weak design tools. I figured when I bought my Mutoh printer that I needed Flexi because of the production manager/RIP software. We always used Corel before this with a cutting program. No problem.

S

Sign-Man Signs

My e-machine fried 3 times, costing me a couple days work in total. So I took the case, and built a $550 super computer with some leftovers, good deals and a couple parts from Tiger Direct. A quote from the local PC shop "they seriously still sell these?"

lol.

Yep, everyone has their own opinion and I think we both know each others now, eh?

Man what else would they say when they're trying to sell you a 2000.00 dollar system. I used to build my own to, but the parts just got to expensive. Getting to old I reckon...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
love the program

no problems

4 gigs of ram, 4 raptors drives - 15,000 RPM @ RAID 0

very fast file crunching.

rdm01

For those who cite user/human error on this, take a step back and look. There
are an overwhelming amount of users that hate the program. I am one. It
could be that there are other things running that are interfering with the
program, or lack of resources, but other plotter software companies have
found ways to work around these so their software isn't a pile of crap. The
fact that flexi has yet to do that alone makes it inferior.

iSign

For those who cite user/human error on this, take a step back and look. There
are an overwhelming amount of users that hate the program. I am one. It
could be that there are other things running that are interfering with the
program, or lack of resources, but other plotter software companies have
found ways to work around these so their software isn't a pile of crap. The
fact that flexi has yet to do that alone makes it inferior.
lame reasoning... your environmental conditions are your problem. When you factor in all the unique conditions you have & those of all the other Flexi users... the possible combinations of variables are absolutely endless... to think SAi is responsible for resolving everyone's issues is ludicrious.

Flame... your newfound superior know-it-all-ness is getting a little old. I'll take Fred's opinion over yours on most topics besides dirt bikes & he encouraged me to start using the program 5 or 6 years ago. Since then it has been an exceptional tool. What's thrown together is your standard issue posts to anything that supports your particular tunnel vision on any given day... just 'cause you can't get your own work up into a league with your Corel work is no reflection on the software...

How many posts have people started to say they love their software? Right... NONE!! ...so how can anyone believe such a crock like a majority of users hate it? That just don't fly... if everyone hated it, it wouldn't be at the top of the food chain... you guys need to figure your own crap out... the sooner you quit blaming external forces over which you have no control... the sooner you can "rock-on" with the rest of Schurm's competition :rock-n-roll:

Creative_Lance

monitor colors are horrible....
The only thing i can agree with!

But If they can improve the quality of the monitor colors and resolution kinda like in Illustrator, we will have the perfect program!
I can't live without Flexi, been using it since V6, always start with it and take it to photoshop.
I love it.

P

ProWraps™

flexi pro works great for us. the calling home thing sucks when your not hooked up to the internet (i hate rip computers attached to the internet for security purposes). but then again, we just use it to rip and print. why you would design in it, is beyond me. hell i couldnt even tell you how to design in it. never done it. we are running it on an intel 9550 with 12 mb of cache, and 8 gb of ram on vista 64 bit. no probs as of yet.

i think our copy lists at $4500 or something rediculous. we use about $250 worth of it. would i pay that for it? HELLS NO. but we got it as a bundle with our mutoh. why anyone would pay $1k for the design station version is WAY beyond me. i laugh everytime i see it advertised.

jhimes

Call your supplier and talk to tech support and if they can't figure it out they will get Flexi involved. We have used it since 5.3? and haven't had any issues until recently and the tech from Flexi to over my computer remotley and fixed it in about 10 minutes. It worked great before that and is working great again since he fixed. I really think you have some kind of computer issue either operating system or hardware. Believe me this approach will be far more productive than blowing up on a message board.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Doug I think you missed the mark a little in your reply to Flame.
I could be wrong, but have you seen anyone post a killer complex design that was done from scratch in Flexi without help from CorelDraw, PhotoShop or Illustrator?
I do not think I have.
On the other hand I have seen some very nice (killer) designs/layouts done in Draw, PhotoShop or Illustrator posted on this forum (even a few from Flamey).
As a design tool I agree with Flame's assessment that it does not do as well as the Adobe or Corel products.

As a production tool to get things printed or plotted it supports the equipment I have and works with very few unexpected errors.
(still at 7.6, maybe I am missing the tools in the latest version that would bring it up to par with the others)

wayne k
guam usa

sarge

i have flexi and have had it for a few years .. never use it .. CorelDRAW works just fine for me .. but then i must be like flame (the amature) .. i just happen to find CorelDRAW does what i need it to do .. i also have photoshop and illy .. never use them .. well photoshop to view pdf's .. as for monitor colors .. get a good monitor and vid card .. i make all my adjustment with that software .. but then being a amature i have no clue what i am doing

well I'm running dual quad core zeons with 16gb of ram and 2 raid 0 300gb raptors for os and 2 more in raid 0 for scratch disks, vista 64bit, smoking system and still have the same problems with flexi. funny thing is this is my design computer my rip computer runs xp and has the exact same problems. No doubt in my mind this is the last time i will ever buy anything from sai!

signguy54

Not an artist
Had an e-machine and it ran fine...till it fried. these machines are definitely "disposable" computers.

My first flexi was 1.1v2 in 1992. there have been problems over the years. wouldn't trade it. it is reliable (to me) and does everything I need. I probably use 90% of the program and have very few problems (8.5 i think)

MVIP

I have been using Flexi for a long time now, can't remember any excessive crashing.

Then again I use Flexi only for working with vectors and preparing files for EnRoute.

Postershop and Wasatch do all my Ripping on the printers. I tried flexi for my RIP years ago when I purchased my first printer with little success. Just couldn't produce acceptable results. Switched to postershop and never looked back.

I guess it's all about using the right tool for the right job. You wouldn't use a hammer to remove a screw.

-Matt

signguy95

I've been running flexi since it was casmate on an old DOS system (most here don't know what DOS is!).

From a problem side that has been SAi's trademark...we have ordered, built, & upgraded everything they told us that they used, but still the random crashes occurred.

From a tools stand point, you can't compare Flexi to PS, apples/oranges. Flexi is equipped with basic (very) raster tools. AI vs. Flexi is a better comparison. I use both. I am very good with Flexi, not so much with AI. I use Flexi at the shop, and AI at home. Reason is, in AI, I don't know how to do everything I need to do, but on the other hand, besides a faded drop shadow, there's not much in AI, that I have found, that I can't do, in flexi. Most of the times, due to learning AI, I will leave most task for when I get back to the shop.

I hate AI's masking tool...why can't it just clip it into the area I specified? I mean...that's why I clipped it!

I don't think it's fair to criticize flexi as a design tool, just because you are better with another program, but I do feel like it shouldn't be over looked that their lack of making a solid running program, makes the program less desirable of a choice.

Also, If you will check your color settings, under edit menu, it has some just as detailed settings as AI if not more, for adjusting monitor and output settings.

Jay

Mason

Can anyone here agree that Flexi is Wayyyyyyyy over priced?

Consider the cost of Adobe Creative Suite, What does Flexi do that CS,2,3,4 Cannot??

Nothing, in fact it is limiting, So why on eart pay that outrageous amount for something that does not hold up.

Of course this is my opinion, you may have your own, but this one is mine.