• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

30, 45, 60 degree blades?

robatmdc

Read on another thread the suggestion to use a 60 degree blade to cut letters smaller than 3/8". Is that the only use for the 60? what is the 30 for, bigger letters?

Thanks

Steve Prince

30 for most vinyl, 60 for thicker vinyl like reflective, but you must recalibrate the offset when you go from one to the other.

30 degree will do fine on reflective but will wear it out fast. I keep a 30 degree in a seperate blade holder for reflective and only need to adjust how hard it hits and not spend time with the offset.

Steve

LightHouse

never used a 30 for anything. 45 for most. 60 for thick and small letters. Some plotters require a diffrent holder as well.

cleancutblade

Years ago, most plotters came with a 30° blade and is used mostly now for thin materials like window tint. In recent years the 45° is the most universally used. 60° blades are indeed for thicker materials and small detail cutting. The 60° is becoming popular as well for reflective, chrome, and metalized vinyls because it stays down in the cut with less downforce.

WVB

We have never used a 30° either... We use 45° for everything except reflective/metalized film. I do use the 45° to cut Oracal's 352 chrome with great results..!

(I think a lot has to do with guy named Ross that I get my blades from!)