• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

33 metre banner rolls....NOT!!!!

gabagoo

I have to print 25 12' banners. I buy 33 (108.9') metre rolls (or so they say) and even with 2" or 3" gaps between the banners I can just fit 8 and I am all out of banner material.

It is one of the few times I have actually had a chance to see if a roll is what they say....NOT!!!

Oh wait!!! my 8th banner just got a "no media message and I still have an inch or 3 to go.

Can you believe that?

I should have an extra 8 feet at this point easily. This is the second roll I have run and the first finished with barely 4" left to go.

I am definately pro rating the price and altering the invoice for this distributor. Dumb Azzes

Circleville Signs

I wonder how much extra cash they've pocketed over the years doing that? Because you know they know that most people will never know EXACTLY how much is on a roll.

THull

It may be short...it happens. But you may also want to measure out your banners to be sure it isn't a calibration error. We have been asked that before when a roll came up short. Thats quite a bit short for a calibration error, but they will ask.

Last edited:

gabagoo

A quantity of eight 12' banners with a 2" gap in between each still comes to 110' - 2" longer than the roll of material claims to be. Sounds like you are actually getting more material if you still have more material on the roll to start number nine.

your math is wrong 8 banners is 96' gaps can only be 24" or maybe 36 at most. Still keeps me under 100'

gabagoo

It sounds like the rolls are really 33 yards.

yes this is the case although I was told by the sales rep 33 metres. Thats how I calculated I needed 3 rolls. Thats OK, I can get 8 on a roll and just need 1 extra that I can use a left over roll here for.

stickermonkey

yes this is the case although I was told by the sales rep 33 metres. Thats how I calculated I needed 3 rolls. Thats OK, I can get 8 on a roll and just need 1 extra that I can use a left over roll here for.

Ok...I don't profess to be a math wiz in any way shape or form...but 33 metres is the same as 33 yards ..no?? I may be wrong.

Kyla

gabagoo

Ok...I don't profess to be a math wiz in any way shape or form...but 33 metres is the same as 33 yards ..no?? I may be wrong.

Kyla

you live in Canada and dont know the conversion for metres to feet? lmfao who does!!!!

well it is 3.3feet or 39" roughly

stickermonkey

you live in Canada and dont know the conversion for metres to feet? lmfao who does!!!!

well it is 3.3feet or 39" roughly

LOL...come to think of it...we're probably getting our materials from the same supplier...because last time I had a long run of banners I came up shorter than expected. I just thought I must have forgotten a job that I printed before starting that run. Hmmm...fishy...and another thing that happened to me was that they sent the roll of banner material without the plastic bag wrapped around it...so it was full of very small particles of dirt and debrie that nearly wrecked my printhead. It took me a couple weeks to figure out what caused the scratches...thankfully I was able to recover my head by doing several nozzle washes over extended periods of time. What company do you deal with for this material??

I was just in Vaughan in May....I was actually looking for a shop I could stop into to see if I could get some ideas on how to organize and layout my shop to better manage our workflow. Where abouts are you?

Kyla

V-ENGRAVE

Wow, Gabagoo - That is 8 feet short change if they sell you 33' for 33 meter. You should get to the bottom of this for sure.

The Starflex brand has a count on the back that is marked every meter. This comes in handy when you try to figure out how tight it will be for that last banner. **** OK, I know someone will ask. I have never measured to see if the meter marks on the back are correct. ****

gabagoo

LOL...come to think of it...we're probably getting our materials from the same supplier...because last time I had a long run of banners I came up shorter than expected. I just thought I must have forgotten a job that I printed before starting that run. Hmmm...fishy...and another thing that happened to me was that they sent the roll of banner material without the plastic bag wrapped around it...so it was full of very small particles of dirt and debrie that nearly wrecked my printhead. It took me a couple weeks to figure out what caused the scratches...thankfully I was able to recover my head by doing several nozzle washes over extended periods of time. What company do you deal with for this material??

I was just in Vaughan in May....I was actually looking for a shop I could stop into to see if I could get some ideas on how to organize and layout my shop to better manage our workflow. Where abouts are you?

Kyla

I be around Jane and Langstaff

Cant say my workflow is any good though as I never did digital when I originally set up. I wish I had about 500 sq ft more these days as it is getting a bit tight

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I've run into this a few times.
One supplier here buys by the container directly from Hong Kong so everything is in meters.
I mark the core when I open a new roll and measure what is used on the trim out table - waste and all. Keep the totals in a notebook so I have a pretty good idea of what I have left. 1 or 2 rolls out of 6 or so will come up a few feet short. I try to stay at least 1 roll over what I think I will need to cover the shortages.

wayne k
guam usa

The MFG's measure the linear footage by weight when they convert rolls.

Ex. A 100 yard roll of 54 x 100 weighs 182 lbs (not accurate # just for discussion).

I have come across this issue many times when running full rolls. Some are longer than they should be and some are shorter. It is all about the roll converter and its accurate calibration from your supplier.

My suggestion is that if you think you have issues it is best to weigh the rolls complete with sono tubes or boxes as the are received. Keep the batch # and or lot # and record it incase you are shorted.

Trust me getting screwed on linear footage is a VERY common problem and can contribute to a serious loss on your bottom line of you do not address.

The only way to expose it is to run full rolls out. When you have a roll of media and you run a banner here and a banner there. You will never catch it.

Slamdunkpro

We just recently had this discussion in this thread.
We run a lot of banner in full roll runs and I'd say that on average 1 in 5 rolls of banner is short between 5-10 feet. I've also never had a roll that was over length by 5-10 feet.

While we're on the subject of irritating banner trends - what's up with manufacturers starting to glue the end of the banner roll to the core with super non-releasing industrial strength adhesive so that instead of the printer feed pulling the banner off the core it drags the damn core up and into the printer feed causing all kinds of mis-feed jam and motor fault hell.

gabagoo

We run a lot of banner in full roll runs and I'd say that on average 1 in 5 rolls of banner is short between 5-10 feet. I've also never had a roll that was over length by 5-10 feet.

While we're on the subject of irritating banner trends - what's up with manufacturers starting to glue the end of the banner roll to the core with super non-releasing industrial strength adhesive so that instead of the printer feed pulling the banner off the core it drags the damn core up and into the printer feed causing all kinds of mis-feed jam and motor fault hell.

yup have had that happen only the roll is set in place and will not lift up...instead the printer prints the remaining graphic all in one line....one big strip of black!!! lol

sjm

gabagoo, 33 meters is not 108.9'. Give or take a few inches. What machine do you run?

sjm

What's the line length registration of your printer? My best printer is at .1% and over 25 ft that is a 3" difference.