• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3D programs to run with Photoshop

dolce05

Can anyone suggest a 3D program for text (not animation) that they have had sucess with. Primarily using on vehicle wraps and large format prints. I'm working with PhotoShop CS.

I was looking at zaxwerks and loved the effects they create, but can't get any info if its just for animation or not. Tried calling their support line, and even was on hold for an hour with the distibutor (who wouldn't probably know for sure anyway).

Figured probably best to ask someone who's using a program that they would recommend.

Theres a ton on line to choose from but their samples look cheap and dated.

Thank you in advance.

Chris Dolce

dolce05

Thanks vinylman. That link was helpful but am looking more for plug-ins or programs that will add and create the whole three dimensional appearance I have done alot of browsing on google. Just figured why not try and get a recommendation or a rave review from someone who's using a program now with success. I justv dont want to purchase old technology when theres a bigger better program out there, plus learning these suckers is no walk in the park. Thanks for your advise... enjoy your Friday!

SignBurst PCs

The new "extended" versions of Photoshop (especially CS4) have some pretty cool 3D tools. Actually, the added 3D and Video tools are what make the "extended" version different from the standard version of Photoshop.

I was really impressed with what it can do. But, it does require a pretty "stout" computer if you don't want to be sitting around forever.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
This does not run within PhotoShop, but you might grab the demo and see if it will do what you need:
http://www.xara.com/us/

Some pretty nice vector tools on top of the 3D tool set.

wayne k
guam usa

dolce05

Wayne,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually was looking at Xara 3d but wasnt really impressed with the samples they showed.

But the link you sent me was for Xara extreme 4 and what i had seen their was exactly what i'm looking for.

Do you know if Xara and Photoshop play well together??

Do you run Xara and find it easy to navigate?

Thanks again,

Chris

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can get beautiful results with Filter Forge. It is both a free standing program and a plugin for Photoshop with more than 5000 filters in its free online library ... many of which can be used for 3D effects with HDRI lighting and elevation control. It also, of course, can be used to generate lots of high resolution backgrounds and fills along with the 3D effects.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Wayne,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually was looking at Xara 3d but wasnt really impressed with the samples they showed.

But the link you sent me was for Xara extreme 4 and what i had seen their was exactly what i'm looking for.

Do you know if Xara and Photoshop play well together??

Do you run Xara and find it easy to navigate?

Thanks again,

Chris

I think it should work fine with PhotoShop.
I use it in combo with CorelDraw IllyCS3 and Flexi with very few problems.

If you like Draw or Illustrator you will enjoy using Xara - it is what they should be but are not. Light, fast - easy to use.
It does not have the prepress set up tools (and a few other things) that you get with the other 2 but the vector effects will make you wonder why the big guys can't get it right.

The demo is just time bombed so you should be able to see exactly what you can get out of it without spending a cent.

good luck.

wayne k
guam usa

Now if you want the real deal and go full on hardcore 3D, ask me about XSI....

:thumb:

whk

dolce05

Casey, and Fred thank you for your imput evrything suggested was well worth taking a look at.

Wayne, i think i"m leaning towards Xara which should suit us fine, have you done any large format stuff with it?

ps that was really wrong mentioning xsi i googled it and started to drool with all the effects and all. Probably a bit much for us here.....we'll be fine with Xara. I have to keep it universal for all the designers only a select few would be able to play with xsi.

Thanks again for all your help

Chris Dolce

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Casey, and Fred thank you for your imput evrything suggested was well worth taking a look at.

Wayne, i think i"m leaning towards Xara which should suit us fine, have you done any large format stuff with it?

ps that was really wrong mentioning xsi i googled it and started to drool with all the effects and all. Probably a bit much for us here.....we'll be fine with Xara. I have to keep it universal for all the designers only a select few would be able to play with xsi.

Thanks again for all your help

Chris Dolce

I have used Xara for interior signs and menu boards for a few of my larger customers. Some 3' x 4's and a few 4 x 10 banners, nothing really big yet.

You can add a good deal to your designs with 3d and it can become addictive once you get over the initial learning curve & cost.....

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• xsi-101.jpg
    xsi-101.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 72

dolce05

Wayne,

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the pros and cons of the program. For the $300-400 they are asking we'll add it to our tools and i'm sure I'll find a way to make money with it. If you used it with 4x10 banners then we should be able to work it into vehicle wraps and designs. Most would be for vans and smaller vehicles, most box trucks we do, corporate already has their branding and creative done on the outside, and they are just looking for someone to produce the product and install.

Probably gonna give it a test run next week and try and get my hands on it between the holidays, this way by the new year i'll feel comfortable to bring it into our services we offer.

Enjoy your Friday and have a great weekend.

Chris
Creative Director
Dolce Design | New York

BALLPARK

mason, thanks for the imput alien skin is cool as well.

Alien skin comes in very HANDY...I have been using it for years and LOVE it.:clapping:

As far the 3d being in PS, Ads & Layouts have new doors to marketing your printed product. I am really enjoying the 3d in PS right now. I am working on new Ads for wraps using 3d.

If you have 3d software, you can get the perfect alignment for the view of the product you are advertising.

If you do not have 3d skills (much like myself) you can still buy the models you need online from hundreds of sites.

3D is the future for layouts for digital printing. Scaled versions of products are better in 3D. Next time you hire graphics guru, also train them in 3D models....if nothing more rotating the view of the product and layout in PS.

Rodi

The King of 3D Typography, Pixar Typestry. Its old, its hard to find, but it has a great interface, lots of "Looks" and Academy Award winning renderer.

I use it a lot.

It is more fun than most computer games for me.

I also use vectors and Expression (creaturehouse) art imported into it.

Displacments are crazy!

You can light foward and backward, you can make some "Looks" more transparent and solid at once!

dolce05

Hi Wayne, do you know if it is possible to export an object from zara3d6 or xara xtreme pro to a vector format? [I created a simple text object in Ai, imported the object to pro and then saved as .xar, opened file in xara3d6, applied simple 3d effect.] I want to save the finished file in vector format, so I can open in Ai, so I can resize to a size larger than the 2000 pixel frame size limitation of zara.

zmatalucci

I have xara 3d, but I find I get better results using ai 3d effect and then copying into ps, and then altering colors gradients, etc.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hi Wayne, do you know if it is possible to export an object from zara3d6 or xara xtreme pro to a vector format? [I created a simple text object in Ai, imported the object to pro and then saved as .xar, opened file in xara3d6, applied simple 3d effect.] I want to save the finished file in vector format, so I can open in Ai, so I can resize to a size larger than the 2000 pixel frame size limitation of zara.

I think Xara's effects are live only inside of xara so they get flattened on export. The bevels, shadows etc will become bitmaps same as most other apps.
You should be able to get much larger bitmap pixel exports out.
Xara's workspace can be a little quirky at large sizes.
Try this:
Forget about page size and all that stuff - just leave it at the default.
Draw a box and convert it to a shape.
Bring all your graphics to the front so the are within the box.
Select all and resize the box using the size boxes in the toolbar.
export that out to a tiff with alpha.
I did a test and mine(older version) tops out at 16,000 x 16,000 for rasterizing a bitmap.
The effects - bevel's shadows etc... look very sharp at this size and would scale up a good deal more outside of xara before detail started to get lost.

I believe Xara 4 limit is 32,000 pixels for a single image now.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• 16k.jpg
    16k.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 106