• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m IJ35-C with 8707

evie

3m IJ35-C with 8707
I have been wrapping windows with IJ35-C with 8708 overlam for years. I had some big windows shrink up and shrivel in high sun recently. When I notified my rep Tom, he sent a piece to the lab, and the lab claims that it's not their overlam, but it is, there is too much ink (i used the 3M profile), and that I shouldn't wrap the window to the rubber seal. I did all of the windows on the building, the only ones that had a problem, were in the high sun area, all of the other windows are fine. Shouldn't 3M be able to stand up to California temps? I would like to hear what you think.

Attachments

• 2013-02-28 09.16.44.jpg
    2013-02-28 09.16.44.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 169

CanuckSigns

wow that's pretty bad, how long have they been installed?

I would also advise not to apply the vinyl right up to the seals, we always cut it back by about 1/8" or so.

either way it shouldn't do that, but good luck getting ANY vinyl manufacturer admit when they are wrong, ask me how I know...*cough* Ritrama *cough*

evie

Thanks for justifying what I was thinking. It was installed December 2012. I don't know the ink level in the profile, I do know it is their profile, and their media. Can you recommend a replacement brand for 3M to use on windows and simple flat surfaces? I don't plan on staying with 3M. Thanks

HulkSmash

that's the 2nd time i've heard 3M blaming heavy ink coverage for failure. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. "OH HEY, WE MADE A MEDIA THAT CAN'T HANDLE HEAVY INK COVERAGE SO UM, DON'T PUT TOO MUCH INK ON IT, OK?"

Also why would wrapping to the rubber seal be an issue..? As long as you cut it next to the rubber seal, and clean it. I'm sorry this is why no one can take 3M and their "issues DEPT" seriously.

evie

That's exactly what I said. I did the no sun side the same day, to the rubber. It didn't shrink at all.

boxerbay

heavy coverage black like that I would have used cast and let the print sit for 2 days before laminating. re rolling it loose after one day to be sure it is fully gassed out.
also did you post heat it after install? The C in IJ35C means comply. The adhesive has the grooves in it. you must post heat it so it bonds really good.
even with all that - solid black prints on glass facing into the sun is a challenge for any media. the glass surface temp probably gets close to 500' on a hot day.

dmfahie

We never use the vendor profiles. We have a color management guy come up and make them. Every printer is different and will lay out more or less ink then the next. Also, if you read 3M's bulletin... you should never wrap a whole window as the window expands and contracts. I hate to side with them, but they do tell you not to wrap to the edges. We use allot if the IJ40, which is the same stuff but removable without issues so far. As for the windows, we use the 180c with 85-- as it does cost more, but it is also almost failsafe.

MikePro

i would also throw-in that lamination with high tension on the web/feed rollers may cause this as well.
regardless, it is most likely that the conditions exceeded the normal operating expectations of calendared vinyl.
anything permanent, or at least intended to be long-lasting, go with cast products.

i really only use 1j35 for MDO/coro signs and interior medium to longer term graphics in climate controlled areas. i save my buck by upselling quality and never having to go back to redo failures.