• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help 3M LX480mc - help

Tatonka

Anyone have a roll or know where I could buy a roll of 3M LX480mc? Naturally it's another material being hit by supply issues, and I've got a job that'll use most of a 50yd roll this month.

rjssigns

Unless the job specifies the material use something else. Products I normally use are taking longer to get. Except for ink, that showed up in less than a day. Go figure...

Tatonka

we're testing another material, but we've used LX480 for a specific process for years so we know it works. Was hoping someone had a roll laying around they'd part with.

JamesLam

Apparently no date has been given by the manufacturer as to when it will be available.

In the mean time has anyone had to mix media brands? We have a chunk on a wrap that has to be replaced and of course nobody wants to wait until the 3M LX480mc is back in stock. I'm concerned that the results of printing on different media will be just too different regardless of profiling and colour matching. Or am I just worrying over nothing?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We've had to mix media brands with the current shortage, as in putting 3M lam on Avery product or vice versa. But we've never put one brand's panels next to another brand's panels, I do not think the white points and print quality, and air release pattern would ever match up that way.

We have been waiting around 4 months for (non-latex) 3M 480; have rolls on backorder whenever 3M decides to make more. I'd say you'd be fine with printing on regular 180mc and putting those next to 480mc panels if you compare samples in your shop and the white point is the same.

JamesLam

We've had to mix media brands with the current shortage, as in putting 3M lam on Avery product or vice versa. But we've never put one brand's panels next to another brand's panels, I do not think the white points and print quality, and air release pattern would ever match up that way.

We have been waiting around 4 months for (non-latex) 3M 480; have rolls on backorder whenever 3M decides to make more. I'd say you'd be fine with printing on regular 180mc and putting those next to 480mc panels if you compare samples in your shop and the white point is the same.
That's a good idea. I'll reach out to my supplier, thanks.

In the mean time everyone must be pleased knowing that the new 3M DI-NOC Finishes are now available in Canada. I just recevide the email blast from one of my suppliers this morning. Now I'm not sure how it solves the shortages of some of their products such as the 480MC but I suppose they may be moving into a direction they consider more lucrative.

If by chance 3M does throw in the towel on products for vehicle wraps what other media do installers prefer? I am not saying it is going to happen as I do not have a crystal ball, but to prepare myself I thought this would be an appropriate question to add to the conversation.

Tatonka

I found some ij180 in stock...I think, so I've got a roll of that coming to use on the next set of jobs. I know our application guy doesn't like it, but he's finally realizing that he's got to work with whatever we can get.

jfiscus

Rap Master

That's a good idea. I'll reach out to my supplier, thanks.

In the mean time everyone must be pleased knowing that the new 3M DI-NOC Finishes are now available in Canada. I just recevide the email blast from one of my suppliers this morning. Now I'm not sure how it solves the shortages of some of their products such as the 480MC but I suppose they may be moving into a direction they consider more lucrative.

If by chance 3M does throw in the towel on products for vehicle wraps what other media do installers prefer? I am not saying it is going to happen as I do not have a crystal ball, but to prepare myself I thought this would be an appropriate question to add to the conversation.
3M has no plans of getting rid of any of their product lines (besides their sandblast materials). Their current woes are the same as everywhere else: materials availability/delays (some of their resins come from overseas and other suppliers also dealing with issues), and low labor availability. They took their current workforce and redirected them to produce which products were most in-demand and let the rest of the orders sit for now until they can add more workers/materials to open those lines up.

We prefer Avery as next best option, after that there is a world of choices. Good installers can work with almost anything after a little bit of figuring it out.
At this point, you just have to buy what is available and say "sorry" to those dealing with it downstream.

We used to order our regular vinyl every day based on what was happening the next day or so, but now we just order a skid every week or so.