• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M material recommendations

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Upfront...my customer is only interested in us using 3M materials for their applications. I've asked my suppliers and am using what they recommend but I'd like to here what the users have to say.

What 3M digital and non-digital/cut vinyl would you recommend for the best and longest lasting results for the following applications. We have 2 roland eco solvent printers and we laminate our prints.

1. Gas tanker trucks, the tank itself (regular gas and LP gas)
2. 500 and 1000 lb LP propane tanks
3. Gas pump panels (bottoms and tops)
4. Gas Canopies

Thanks!

Stacey K

I like making signs
7725 I believe is the one I used. I had a post like this with a lot of great comments. I’ll try and find it.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
180 CV3 for the truck tank
IJ39 High Tac for the Propane tanks or ij35
180 CV3 or 35...depending...for the panels.
Depends on what the canopies are made out of. You can go anywhere between 35, 40 or 180

ikarasu

7725 is a good cut vinyl if it's just a single color your doing... But it's not air egress. I'd use 180-colored or 1080/2080 for that.

For printing - if you're looking for wrap grade.... 180 for the wraps.

For tankers and propane tanks.... Anything with cold liquid we use 180 lse to ensure it sticks good.

rydods

7725 is a good cut vinyl if it's just a single color your doing... But it's not air egress. I'd use 180-colored or 1080/2080 for that.

For printing - if you're looking for wrap grade.... 180 for the wraps.

For tankers and propane tanks.... Anything with cold liquid we use 180 lse to ensure it sticks good.
My supplier recommended 180, 1080/2080 for all the cut vinyl. The 180 seems a little thin and prone to tearing. I was also worried that air release material might not bond well enough to the propane tankers.

Overall, we're trying to make everything 2080 even if it's overkill in most circumstances. For the canopies, we haven't had much luck with the cut vinyl facing the sun for more than 3 years and the white gets chalky and "runs". I'm hoping this will help, at least with the calky part. I don't expect much more than 5 years in the sun

Just started using IJ 35 for the printed parts of the canopies and propane tanks but I think it's calendared which concerns me so I may switch to a cast. I don't believe material costs are a worry for them.

ikarasu

My supplier recommended 180, 1080/2080 for all the cut vinyl. The 180 seems a little thin and prone to tearing. I was also worried that air release material might not bond well enough to the propane tankers.

Overall, we're trying to make everything 2080 even if it's overkill in most circumstances. For the canopies, we haven't had much luck with the cut vinyl facing the sun for more than 3 years and the white gets chalky and "runs". I'm hoping this will help, at least with the calky part. I don't expect much more than 5 years in the sun

Just started using IJ 35 for the printed parts of the canopies and propane tanks but I think it's calendared which concerns me so I may switch to a cast. I don't believe material costs are a worry for them.
Ij35 is cast and garbage.

Use 180lse if money's not a concern. It is thin and air release... But it won't come off, it's a high tac vinyl. Or at the very keast switch to ij40... I wouldn't use 35 on anything outdoors meant to last.

180 is thin... 1080/2080 is better. 180 we usually overlam.

MikePro

+1 IJ35 is calendared, and "garbage".....by the standards of 3M media.
but its my go-to for flat signage that is only expected to last ~5yrs.

still think this is a loaded question for a sign forum, and slightly unhelpful considering your supplier or media availability might be different than others. should talk with a 3M rep/your supplier what they recommend, and then to confirm with the peanut gallery if you think they're blowing smoke up your @$$.

that being said, amongst 3M brands, 7725/3630 is our gold quality standard stock colored vinyl. IJ3630 for our white trans. IJ180Cv3 for our wraps, and 180 for reflectives.

ikarasu

I shouldn't have said garbage :oops:

For a calandered it's not bad. It does shrink... Well use It for indoors but, but never for outdoors or for a wrap.

The "lowest" we go for signage or flat graphics is ij40... It's still a calandered... But it doesn't shrink and is rated for 7 years.

Ij35 is too pricey to use for garbage temp signs.... And to... Intermediate to use for anything even semi perm. Indoor decals or stickers or a few other things it's great for. Nice thick liner which most of the cheaper media's don't have... Makes for a nice perf cut.

rydods

Thanks for the info. Price really isn't an issue. I just don't want to replace or see any failures for a LONG time. We had issues with cast avery and I'm currently cleaning up that mess.