• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Materials Shortage

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Hello all, I believe I have seen threads on this but I am not sure, and I think my questions below warrant a new post anyhow.

Most everyone is aware of the 3M IJ180 shortage, apparently, a northern US plant caught fire and that paired with supply chain issues has caused all this. I have in possession what I was told was the last two rolls of 54X150 in NA as of last week and any future order will be on backorder (Fellers). My old N Glantz rep stopped by yesterday and told me they're offering a 10 roll blanket PO order for their customers with no estimated lead time for IJ180, where the materials will ship directly from the plant.

Anyways, it appears that everyone's recommendation is to switch to Avery 1105. We purchased several rolls of 1005 a few years ago and it was absolute garbage from what I remember, couldn't get the material to take any ink from either of Mutoh solvent machines, even trying multiple print profiles. I do understand a lot has changed on 1105.

Question is, who has real experience switching from IJ180 over to 1105, using eco-solvent machines? Printability? How does this install compared to IJ180?

Sorry for being wordy. We've been strictly 3M for years.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We have used 1105 EZRS recently on latex and its been fine for us with printability and install. I cannot speak to Eco Solvent or such.

unclebun

We have used MPI1105 and 1105EZ for a very long time, and it's been fine on both a Mimaki JV3 and our current Epson eco-solvent printers. It prints beautifully.

jfiscus

Rap Master
You can still get 3M, we had to buy it 10 rolls at a time, but you can get it. We ordered when this all happened and now have 30 rolls in stock...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Does 3M really honor their warranties anyway... Have had $50,000+ issues with no help. Switched to Avery 1105 for wraps almost 6 years ago and haven't looked back.

They have for us but only to the extent that they will replace the material. You still have to eat all the costs of ink, production time, removal of the failed, installation of the replacement, and an inconvenienced/annoyed client.

I've also been told that the 10 roll material deal is from what 3M calls "quarantine" material, cannot be latex printed, and has no warranty.

But - I just looked back at an email from Glantz on it and that does say it is warranted is used correctly.

3M1.jpg

Last edited:

OhioSigns

Anybody here using Avery 1105EZRS and laminating with 3M 8518? From some of the stuff I've heard here I kind of want to steer clear of Avery overlaminate but wanted to give Avery a try on a wrap job with the IJ180CV3 situation. I am looking to try the Avery but don't have very high expectations from some of the stuff I've read about the laminate and thought I'd still use 8518 on it. I know there would be no warranty but I've never banked on 3M or any manufacturer covering anything anyway and just being a waste of time to try.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Anybody here using Avery 1105EZRS and laminating with 3M 8518? From some of the stuff I've heard here I kind of want to steer clear of Avery overlaminate but wanted to give Avery a try on a wrap job with the IJ180CV3 situation. I am looking to try the Avery but don't have very high expectations from some of the stuff I've read about the laminate and thought I'd still use 8518 on it. I know there would be no warranty but I've never banked on 3M or any manufacturer covering anything anyway and just being a waste of time to try.

Most people use 1360z, which is not a direct comparison to 8518. Using 1060z is a direct comparison and doesn't exhibit the issues most people face.

Val47

We have always used 8519 cast lam on 3m ij180, or avery equivalent. Works the same. Only use 8518 on perf, because it's like the optically clear.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
8518 on 1105 works fine. I like it better than 1360.

MikePro

need a quality substitute for IJ180 in a pinch? Go with Arlon DPF6000XRP or Grimco's Briteline wrap vinyl. Both are solid cast vinyls with a price point that puts 3M to shame. Have laminated both with 3M 3519/20 in the past without issue.
....and Avery can suck it.

Last edited:

AlexV

We had the same issue here in the Dallas, TX area. Suppliers were out of stock of both 3M and Avery 1105. We use the 1105 Avery for our full and partial wraps. My prefer the 1105 over the 3M material. I know they both are really good materials.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
need a quality substitute for IJ180 in a pinch? Go with Arlon DPF6000XRP or Grimco's Briteline wrap vinyl. Both are solid cast vinyls with a price point that puts 3M to shame. Have laminated both with 3M 3519/20 in the past without issue.
Ok, Since I tried and HATED the Orajet, I'll give Briteline a go on YOUR recommendation.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Nevermind, They're out of it now as well...because of the shortage.

MikePro

yikes, just checked it.... 11-16days estimated arrival. ordered two rolls a month ago and they came the next day, hope these get me past this supplier-slump.
just checked, and Fellers has Arlon DPF6000 in stock, NGlantz would have it too.

Last edited:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I would say switch over to Oracal 3751 Proslide, but there's shortages on that material. We have a hard time keeping any here.