• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

43" Mutoh Iris????

johnny_loves_amy

I know that Jill is gonna have a field day on me with this question, (she always has quirky comments. Not that it bothers me..lol) but has anyone heard of a 43" Mutoh Iris? I did alot of research and didn't come up with much on them,besides they take both solvent, and pigment inks .. I know they are older models, but are they worth a sh*t.. What would be a good price to pay for one.. I got a chance to but two of them for $800.00, and the guy said he had enough ink for them to be loaded 3 more times.. For that price I will split the cost with someone if they are decent printers and they can have one too..Someone gimme some input. If this is a good deal I dont wanna lose it!!!

randya

Not sure, but I believe these are indoor printers and take both dye and pigment inks.

I think it was OEMed for Scitex

Check and see if they have heaters....

johnny_loves_amy

Not sure, but I believe these are indoor printers and take both dye and pigment inks.

I think it was OEMed for Scitex

Check and see if they have heaters....
What is OEMed? I thought pigment inks could be used for outdoor prints as well..Hmmmm, this puzzles me... Any thoughts anyone?

dbenec

We have several at our commercial print shop (my day job). They are Scitex / Iris 43 wides. They have been discontinued both to buy and service - Scitex/Creo is now Kodak. Ours run dye inks as they are only for making imposed proofs similar to a blueline proof used in offset printing. Not sure about converting the inks over to outdoor type inks but I know that ours (which run dye inks) do not have heaters. Just something else to consider.

dbenec

looking online - photos of a mutoh rockhopper look identical to the 43w except the rockhopper has an additional screen below the main control screen. My guess is the additional screen is for the heater controls. I'm sure someone else here will be able to answer this for sure.

lastly (for tonight) using pigment inks you seem to be able to print on way fewer substrates than the solvent printers. Just what I'm seeing in my supplier's catalog anyway. I've looked into an Epson for printing signs and the downside I see is having to use coated paper.

johnny_loves_amy

Thanks you guys!!! I guess I wont be buying them then.. Just wished I could afford to buy a roland right now..Anyways, thanks a million..

randya

What is OEMed? I thought pigment inks could be used for outdoor prints as well..Hmmmm, this puzzles me... Any thoughts anyone?

Original Equipment Manufacturer - means Mutoh made them for Scitex...

So it sounds as if these are indoor printers with no heaters...

Indoor inks are dye or pigment
Outdoor inks are pigment

Indoor inks use water as the solvent, outdoor inks use (Eco Ultra) use glycol ethers as the solvent.

johnny_loves_amy

Original Equipment Manufacturer - means Mutoh made them for Scitex...

So it sounds as if these are indoor printers with no heaters...

Indoor inks are dye or pigment
Outdoor inks are pigment

Indoor inks use water as the solvent, outdoor inks use (Eco Ultra) use glycol ethers as the solvent.
Thanks man,maybe one day I will be at a place to where I can buy a Roland.. Right now I sub out all of my prints ($2.50 a square foot). The guy has a very small Roland (24" or 30" I think) and he doesn't laminate anything. I have to use clearshield, and a low nap roller, or for really small jobs I buy Clear Shield in the spray can.. Hey it gets the job done I guess.. Anyways, thanks to all for the advice..I'm sure on my quest for a printer, I will have plenty more questions to come..Thanks again

packman

Have you not thought about converting it to outdoor solvent printing, could be a cheaper option than a roland

Cheers Mark

randya

Yeah maybe something that says Mutoh!

I dont officially represent Mutoh here, I just try to help out when I can and correct misinformation when I see it.

I have changed my pic in the profile, but it doesnt seem to be posting yet....

I am hurt that you dont care for my personal art....lol

johnny_loves_amy

Have you not thought about converting it to outdoor solvent printing, could be a cheaper option than a roland

Cheers Mark
I was told that it would take "special media" to print on. I got a chance to buy an older Roland (PNC 960 I think) with the thermal ink ribbon.. I am kinda weighing my options, and hoping the economy comes out of the gutter soon. I couldnt make the payments on a new Roland right now with business being slow here in Georgia. Guess I'll just keep on keeping on huh?

dbenec

Special media for the pigment inks - but the question still remains could you switch it to solvent, add the heaters and print on the wide variety of substrates available to solvent printers?

I'm curious to see replies as well.

Thanks in advance!

packman

My rj6100 has been converted to eco solvent ink. Up until recently wasn't printing, but with the help from people on this forum have managed to get it printing again.

Just for testing it out I've just been printing on standard cut vinyl and its printing a treat. Takes a while to dry but once dry its really well. I've rubbed over with a cloth and no ink is rubbing off. So if it does that with standard vinyl, it should be ok with print media and lamination.

As for dryers, I'm in the process of making my own from under tile heating tubes. Don't know about the prices in the US but its going to cost around £120 to get it sorted. Its more than enough to heat the vinyl and dry the inks. I've known people just stick an electric heater in front of the printer to dry it as it prints.