• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

5+ month wait on OKI Gritroller

bluehammer

I have a worn down grit roller for my Seiko (oki) Colorpainter M64s. OKI says they are back ordered until May !!!

Any idea where to get one sooner? I'm not happy I have to wait until May for a part. Do they not want to service this machine?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have a worn down grit roller for my Seiko (oki) Colorpainter M64s. OKI says they are back ordered until May !!!

Any idea where to get one sooner? I'm not happy I have to wait until May for a part. Do they not want to service this machine?

Grit rollers are sort of seen as lifetime parts from the manufacturer's point of view. I have been fixing machines for over 10 years and I have never seen one replaced on any brand or model machine. The manufacturers know this so they don't stock them and have to order them from Asia and wait for them to come on a boat. They figure that once the grit roller is smooth, the machine is at end of life. I don't think you will find a new one anywhere in America. Used might be your best bet.

bluehammer

Grit rollers are sort of seen as lifetime parts from the manufacturer's point of view. I have been fixing machines for over 10 years and I have never seen one replaced on any brand or model machine. The manufacturers know this so they don't stock them and have to order them from Asia and wait for them to come on a boat. They figure that once the grit roller is smooth, the machine is at end of life. I don't think you will find a new one anywhere in America. Used might be your best bet.

Mine is worn down. We think the cause is running Visual Magnetic material through it. Its a magnetic receptive material that has iron dust on the back. We think it sanded down the grit roller over time.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mine is worn down. We think the cause is running Visual Magnetic material through it. Its a magnetic receptive material that has iron dust on the back. We think it sanded down the grit roller over time.

Yeah material used will definitely change the way things wear. Looks like a few option above. I would be interested if a machine shop could do it. Didn't even think of it!

bluehammer

I'm not comfortable remanufacturing a printer part... nor should I have too. OKI should service their printers. If they are still making the printer, they have a part somewhere, and it's not a 5 month shipping time away. This is unacceptable.

netsol

vander is right, this is a part that normally never goes bad.
make the relationship with a machine shop now & you will be set the next time your material wears it down.

i recently purchased a used roland mdx milling machine, missing the sensor assembly ( you replace the cutter assy with a sensor assy during certain operations.)

i ordered the parts immediately

due to the fact that THEY NEVER GO BAD i am in month 3, with about $800 worth of small parts in a box. 1 more cable assy coming in about 3 weeks. then i can assemble and start using my new toy.

point is,
certain parts you just have to wait for, or make other arrangements.
good luck, hope you make out better than i am

jfiscus

Rap Master
Do any other printer share these same grit rollers? Possibly the Seiko is just using another manufacturer's parts for this printer and you could get it from them. (Like how most solvent printers run Epson heads)