• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

52" Graphtec Plotter FC7000-100 or Q-100

midnightmadman

I can get a used 52" Graphtec Plotter FC7000-100 for $1750
or a brand new Vinyl Express Q-100 42" for $2400
What would you do?
Anyone better then the other?

Joop

I would go with the Graphtec, it's bigger, cheaper... and they make the best plotter IMO. I have 2 graptec plotters, one is over 15 years old and still works perfect! The other is the same as yours only a 7000-160... also a great plotter.

907customs

I have owned a graphtec fc7000 42", and I currently own a 54" Q series. I can see no difference other than color. That being said, I'd go for the graphtec due to the size difference, assuming that it is in good condition. They do offer stripped down Q series without a media basket, media sensor, etc. If that is the case...definately go with the graphtec, because those options are not cheap.

B Snyder

You have only one source for support with the Vinyl Express machine.

Based on the customer service experiences I've had with Graphtec and their resellers I feel confident that I'd receive good service from them in the future.

Based on the customer service experiences I've had with SW I don't feel confident that I'd receive good service from them in the future.

MVIP

You have only one source for support with the Vinyl Express machine.

Based on the customer service experiences I've had with Graphtec and their resellers I feel confident that I'd receive good service from them in the future.

Based on the customer service experiences I've had with SW I don't feel confident that I'd receive good service from them in the future.

Fair Enough!

I have had a different experience with SW.

-Matt

TresL

+1 Snyder
Buy the true Graphtec.
Also, the ARMS is Optional on the Q, standard on the Graphtec if I remember correctly.

Case

The Graphtec has 600 grams of force... The Q series doesn't.......

Graphtec all the way....

You see also Graphtec firmware is available to download to update the brain of the machine.... I have never seen firmware for the "Q" series available... If it is, SW doesn't post it on their website......

Graphtec=Grey Goose.... "Q" series=Well vodka...

I have said this many times...

Case

Jim Doggett

I can get a used 52" Graphtec Plotter FC7000-100 for $1750
or a brand new Vinyl Express Q-100 42" for $2400
What would you do?
Anyone better then the other?

FC7000-100 and Q100 are both 42". The FC7000-130 is 54"; is it possible the used Graphtec is a 130?

Anyway, either is a great deal. New gets you a fresh warranty. Used gets you a cutter with only 15 or so years of life left in it (and faster, more cut-force, ARMS, etc.)

You can't make a bad decision if these are your choices.

Best,

Jim

bjones

That would be true if the "well vodka" were made by the maker's of Grey Goose.

-Jim

Grey goose becomes well vodka when you cut it with water :)

I'd love to believe you, but the facts are you do NOT get the support and updates on a Qseries that you do with a true Graphtec even if the hardware is identical. There's a known flaw in the Q100 firmware that Graphtec has fixed but is NOT available to QSeries plotters from signwarehouse due to OEM agreements that cost me a bundle before finding a really hokey workaround. (there's the aforementioned water). Seems lame I have to resort to covering sensors with tape in order to use my cutter when a fix is out there on the grey goose version of said cutter. If I had it all to do over again, i'd have spent the extra couple hundred on the one with the graphtec sticker on it.

Case

Grey goose becomes well vodka when you cut it with water :)

I'd love to believe you, but the facts are you do NOT get the support and updates on a Qseries that you do with a true Graphtec even if the hardware is identical. There's a known flaw in the Q100 firmware that Graphtec has fixed but is NOT available to QSeries plotters from signwarehouse due to OEM agreements that cost me a bundle before finding a really hokey workaround. (there's the aforementioned water). Seems lame I have to resort to covering sensors with tape in order to use my cutter when a fix is out there on the grey goose version of said cutter. If I had it all to do over again, i'd have spent the extra couple hundred on the one with the graphtec sticker on it.

You hit it dead on the head my friend...

Case

Jim Doggett

The making of vodka is an exercise in distilling pure grain alcohol, which is then diluted with purified water. It's easily one of the most indistiguishable of the spirits; and differentiated largely by packaging, price and branding. Interesting you should choose such an analogy :^)

Anyway, I no longer work for SignWarehouse. But I'm not aware of any aspects of any OEM agreement that would preclude bug-fixes. That makes no sense. Check with SW Tech; they can upgrade the firmware, or so I was told.

Best,

Jim

bjones

Trust me Jim, I have gone round and round about this one. Spoke to graphtec directly after SW told me SOL and put tape over the sensor. The fine folks at Graphtec told me in no uncertain terms that the SW product is OEM and you get it cheaper for a reason and firmware fixes are NOT going to happen. No amount of explaining this to SW moves anyone anywhere. They even told me to ship it back to be 'fixed', but what for? it's not broken unless you can patch the firmware which we already know they can't/won't do. If I could upgrade the firmware I can do that without shipping anything anywhere. Either way, kinda a load of crap. I can totally understand not getting new graphtec 'features' on an oem unit, but to tell me I can't have bugfixes for the same reason? WTF

Jim Doggett

Trust me Jim, I have gone round and round about this one. Spoke to graphtec directly after SW told me SOL and put tape over the sensor. The fine folks at Graphtec told me in no uncertain terms that the SW product is OEM and you get it cheaper for a reason and firmware fixes are NOT going to happen. No amount of explaining this to SW moves anyone anywhere. They even told me to ship it back to be 'fixed', but what for? it's not broken unless you can patch the firmware which we already know they can't/won't do. If I could upgrade the firmware I can do that without shipping anything anywhere. Either way, kinda a load of crap. I can totally understand not getting new graphtec 'features' on an oem unit, but to tell me I can't have bugfixes for the same reason? WTF

Sorry; there was a time when I could walk over to the tech manager and query: WTF??? But alas, no more. You may be right. I seem to recall them saying they like to do the upgrade to avoid damaging the cutter. (don't ask; I'm not a tech :^) So shipping it back may be true; and tape probably beats the pain of packaging / shipping.

I gotta bow to you on this one. You seem to have been through the wringer and no doubt know better than me. I respect that.

Case on the other hand just seems to take cheap shots and has yet to identify himself as a user or dealer. I have little respect for that.

Best,

Jim

Case

Sorry; there was a time when I could walk over to the tech manager and query: WTF??? But alas, no more. You may be right. I seem to recall them saying they like to do the upgrade to avoid damaging the cutter. (don't ask; I'm not a tech :^) So shipping it back may be true; and tape probably beats the pain of packaging / shipping.

I gotta bow to you on this one. You seem to have been through the wringer and no doubt know better than me. I respect that.

Case on the other hand just seems to take cheap shots and has yet to identify himself as a user or dealer. I have little respect for that.

Best,

Jim

Cheap shots??? I never have said a word about you personally or the company you use to work for... I have stated facts about the Graphtecs performance over the SignWarehouse "Q" series that Graphtec makes for them... I have done nothing but told the truth. If I wanna take cheap shots, believe me I would have a lot easier targets and better things to focus on.... The firmware thing has been stated many times... The force of the machine has been stated many times... I guess I could have stated other things as well.. I guess I could have said that there are at least 10 dealers with better service and support than SignWarehouse... I never said anything like that. And Jim Doggett, I could care less if you respect me. I have already stated I own a Graphtec FC7000-160. I have also stated that a friend of mine owns a "Q" series. So, as far as respect goes, quit talking to me then and you won't have to worry about what I say. Now if I were saying things that were untrue, then I would understand it. I have stated facts.

Case

midnightmadman

WoW! I really sparked a fire with my post.
I see that the seller with the FC7000 was wrong in saying it is a 52, it is only a 48". But either way I havent heard back from him so I guess I will keep looking. Anyone have a 52 or 48 or 42 they want to sell cheap!?