• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6' X 20' Lighted Sign Graphic, Production Ideas.

TSC1985

"I have no idea how to paint with the translucent paint,"
Then don't even think about trying that, it's a skill that requires the right set up and practice.
You can look at other alternatives like flex face and outsource but the big factor is your clients cheapness.
Printing and overlapping is going to be quickest and cheapest, do you even know if they'd go for that cost?

I am not nor was I going to do paint based on my clients budget and my inability to do so. I choose to do digital based on price and ease of install, he was fine with my quote for printing. I am just looking for advice or alternatives to the overlaping of the digital film.

The sign is very large and the top is probably 30-35ft in the air so maybe a 1/8" overlap is nothing that will show up too much and I'm just worried because it looks more extreme at 12" with the same overlap than 72" and the same overlap

Johnny Best

If your client as you say does not want to spend money and keep the cost down just tell him you are not going to charge him for that seam.
But if you can't start with a new face and do it right with outsourcing with either painting, flex face or one piece of vinyl, then you are going to have something not looking right as a thin overlap as you show.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
At 30' in the air, you don't need to be worried. That seam won't really show. Put a standard overlap on it and move one.
And be prepared for the customer to call and complain because they can see the ghosting.

MikePro

big fan of overlapping, even if only 1/8", for longevity.
.....I would just tile it in a better spot.
4' vinyl tile across the middle and then add top&bottom 1' pieces.

your overlap would then be away from the main elements, and won't be so noticeable.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Yellow FlexFace with wipe-off yellow? Don't know the actual brand-name. Izzat stuff still available?

Have used it in the past and works very well and is a perfect smooth colour, but it involves careful masking of your wipe-off areas for the subsequent application of the other colours (translucent or digital).

You'd also need a new frame, though, too...

visual800

you need to sub this out to a larger company and do it out of flex. Im still shocked a sign that size is plexi, how the hell is it still up there is my question, please post a pic of the sign itself

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
you need to sub this out to a larger company and do it out of flex. Im still shocked a sign that size is plexi, how the hell is it still up there is my question, please post a pic of the sign itself

something that size has to be polycarbonate -- as more people without experience enter this business, I am less and less surprised these days hearing so many people using the terms plex, acrylic, polycarbonate, Lexan, etc. all interchangeably when they are not.

Dallas225

What we do with terribly bad faces is print on clear and apply to the face and then print on translucent white with matte laminate and layer over top the clear print. Keeps prints vibrant and you won't see any ghosting. We've done tons like this and it Works beautifully. Overlap an inch, let it sit two days and double cut it and pull the overlap out to get rid of the seam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk