• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

64 bit question

RiXaX

With all the new computers going 64 bit, do I need a 64 bit version of Flexi to run on them? If so, what is the oldest and most stable version in 64 bit. Currently I'm using 7.6.2 and happy with it. I don't print. What are my alternatives?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
7.6v2 will not run right on x64 Windows..... You "might" get it to work somewhat using 32 bit emulation but it's not likely. Some have had slightly better luck with 8.0/8.1 on x64. 8.5/8.6 was the first version of Flexi "officially" supported on x64. You will also have to make sure you have x64 drivers for your machines (printer and cutter) as well. Ultimately if you are not planning on either finding a used copy of Flexi 8.5 or higher (or upgrading to the newest version 11 "Cloud") and making certain that your machines have x64 drivers I'd personally suggest not trying to mess with 64 bit. Your only official upgrade you can get for your 7.6 version is all the way to the newest cloud version, once they release a new full version they discontinue allowing upgrades to other lower versions - in other words you cannot upgrade your 7.6v2 to 8.6v2 or 10.1, etc, only to the newest version.

8.6v2 (or 8.5 which can be freely updated to 8.6v2), if you can find it is next to 7.6v2 probably the most stable and best running version of Flexi I have seen. We ran (and still do) 8.6v2 for a few years but we also have the newest cloud version now too and are transitioning over to it. 64 bit can make a pretty big difference although I don't believe Flexi (even the newest cloud version) is a true through and through native 64 bit application. 64 bit will however allow you to have greater than 4GB of ram and if you have other native 64 bit applications like Photoshop CS5 and Illustrator CS6 they will get a rather large performance boost on 64 bit with over 4gb of ram.

SignBurst PCs

No, you don't need a 64 Bit version of Flexi, but you will need a version compatible with 64 Bit Windows.

We have tested and anything older than 8.5 is questionable on a 64 Bit system. It has really been hit or miss with anything older.

As Techman said, with 8.5 and 8.6, you will need a 64 Bit dongle driver.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
have you actually tried it yourself?

I would guess all one needs is a dongle driver..

Yes I did try to get 7.6v2 working on x64 Windows are one point several years ago. Was able to finally get it to start without crashing or giving errors using x32 emulation but never could get it to print or cut. Back then though I was testing it on Vista X64 and there were no x64 drivers for the Mimaki at the time so it was really impossible to make it work. Mimaki does have 64 bit drivers now though. I do know quite a few have been able to get Flexi 8.0/8.1 working using emulation but it has been very hit and miss on them being successful. 8.5/8.6 is no problem as long as you download the x64 drivers for the dongle and the machines you are using.