• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6ft x 48ft wall mural

funnyb0nz

So I am wraooing up doing my first big wall. I've been applying vinyl on 4x8 for last 3 years with no issues.
So my dilema is, laid all 13 pieces out on floor, used painters tape to align and than sliced the painters tape.
So everything lines up good. I use bill collector and go to work, however when get to bottom left corner, line goes past about 1/4 inch. Its like vinyl is stretching. Customer had thier furnace up and felt like 80. Viny Im using is 3m IJ35. This is 1st time I have'nt used laminate. however its indoor wall. The top lines up good but when I get down to the bottom, its about 1/4 too long.

Any suggestions? Should I be uzing a different material?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
It's probably getting stretch during the application (to be clear, I am not saying you're doing anything incorrectly, it just happens with printed, unlaminated vinyl). That's why I'd laminate it regardless- which would also hedge your bets against having to reprint parts when someone scratches it when cleaning it (or sprays a cleaner onto it and it discolors the print), and offers protection against the vinyl tearing easily, in addition to avoiding the stretching.

Last edited:

GC Decor

Super Printer
You’re using unlaminated thin vinyl it’s gonna stretch, with some force you’ll easily get 1/4” movement. I think that series is 3 mil thick so it’s easy to stretch in a warm room. I would recommend just laminating it for all jobs - it will protect the ink better.
If you’re using UV ink, we really like the retac line - There 6 mil retac is perfect for removable wall displays.

2B

thinner vinyl + warm room = stretch

if you only got 1/4 in 72", not bad
try to do less pressure and use more horizontal squeegee strokes for the initial tack.

Once set on the wall, then you can apply the heavier hand or use a roller for a good adhesion

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Devil's Advocate:

So the argument is that the second panel "stretched" and didn't line up with the first panel because the second panel stretched.

Why did the second panel stretch more than the first panel...? If they're both unlaminated and installed in the same manner, wouldn't they both stretch the same amount?

Bengt Backhaus

There are a lot of factors.
Maybe he stretched the vinyl harder on the second panel, or the room got warmer, more downward force on the squeege perhaps?
I find that you have to be very careful with unlaminated vinyl to match the stretching that will occur.

ikarasu

A wrap that big with IJ35 is asking for disaster... when your client wants to remove it... You'll be taking down chunks of the wall!

Anyways... why not throw a cheap lam on? even a $100 roll laminate would work for an indoor wall. Then its thicker and wont stretch as much.

At the very least...pre-mask it. When we applied screenprint / offset vinyls that have no overlam, we would pre-mask it before applying it - Paper doesnt stretch, and it gives a buffer between the squeegee and material to make sure it wont scratch.

JBurton

Signtologist
Don't forget, it you start from the top down on the first, you have to do it on all subsequent panels. Not only does applying stretch it due to gravity, but the way in which you keep your vinyl as you go will effect how much stretch. If you stick the top 2' and then work your way down, the bottom 4' will stretch. If you start dead center, only the bottom 3' will stretch. If you split your backer and roll up the excess while you work downward, it will stretch less than if you split the backer and let it free hang. If you just tape across, fold in half, rip half the vinyl free and cut the backer, you'll have a different degree of stretch vs sticking the top and leaving the backer on as you go.
All that is to say, you'll only stretch ~1/2 as much if you slap a cheap laminate on it, but you should be consistent in the application method so they all stretch relatively the same amount.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Stretching is one thing. Let's not forget media feed. Media feed will never be "dead on."

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Going to agree that unlamented IJ35 is not a good choice for a wall graphic, if sticking w 3M I'd use at least 40C with 8509 OL on it. I'd echo most other responses that your simply getting stretch due to the thinner of your material. As mentioned before removal of the IJ35 will likely be troublesome.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Retac from Drytac is a 6mil semi-rigid....that means no stretch. Very stable film designed for walls and it has textures to hide the imperfections in the drywall. Much less expensive than IJ40 or IJ35 + laminate and easy to install. We've got stock in Cleveland. It's great stuff.