• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6mm ACM or 5mm AlumaCorr?

We've got a project coming up for a 4' x 8' double-sided sign. We are just quoting to make the sign and the client in this case, a local municipality, is building their own frame from 6" x 6" posts with 4" x 4" horizontal stringers. They plan on cutting a 1/4" notch 1" deep into the top and bottom stringers, as well as the 6" x 6" posts to secure the sign around all four sides.

Initially, my first instinct was to quote 6mm MaxMetal ACM, but then I have to wonder, is 5mm AlumaCorr better suited for this job? I would think 6mm ACM would handle wind loads better but perhaps I'm wrong. Grimco either doesn't have a tech department or they couldn't give me a straight answer, whatever the case, and I see this AlumaCorr material used in other similar applications where a 4' x 8' is surrounded by a frame of some sort. I've heard that AlumaCorr is incredibly strong, especially considering its weight, but is it stronger than ACM?

I would appreciate any insight as to what you guys feel is the best and strongest material for this type of application or if I could really go either way.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We've got a project coming up for a 4' x 8' double-sided sign. We are just quoting to make the sign and the client in this case, a local municipality, is building their own frame from 6" x 6" posts with 4" x 4" horizontal stringers. They plan on cutting a 1/4" notch 1" deep into the top and bottom stringers, as well as the 6" x 6" posts to secure the sign around all four sides.

Initially, my first instinct was to quote 6mm MaxMetal ACM, but then I have to wonder, is 5mm AlumaCorr better suited for this job? I would think 6mm ACM would handle wind loads better but perhaps I'm wrong. Grimco either doesn't have a tech department or they couldn't give me a straight answer, whatever the case, and I see this AlumaCorr material used in other similar applications where a 4' x 8' is surrounded by a frame of some sort. I've heard that AlumaCorr is incredibly strong, especially considering its weight, but is it stronger than ACM?

I would appreciate any insight as to what you guys feel is the best and strongest material for this type of application or if I could really go either way.
It comes down to an old engineering idea, is solid stronger than an arch? In your case both would work suitably

For a sign that's only a 4x8, held by the edges, you can use 3mm ACM, 6MM ACM or Alumacorr. They are all strong enough.

I wouldn't use 3mm in this case. It's a sign for a baseball diamond without a lot of surrounding trees or buildings so it's what I would definitely call a potential high wind area.

d fleming

I would be more skeptical of a 1/4" gouge holding it in place. I have had our shop sign flex and disappear in severe winds (strong storm for us is hurricane for everyone else,lol) and that was held in place with 1x2 fir strip. Frame stayed, sign never found.

wes70

I'm of the opinion that 3mm and 6mm are equally strong, the difference is how many screws you need to hold it up, 6mm requiring more due to gravity alone. I can safely say that doubling the amount of recycled plastic does not make it stronger, just heavier. The only reason we use 6mm is if it a face replacement in an old lit cabinet that is no longer lit, or if it dimensional letters cut out and mounted to a panel.

I understand what you are saying if it was too be mounted on a wall or had some back support (stringers, plywood, etc.) but from what I understand the sign will be "floating" in the grooves...sorta like shaker cabinetry.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs

I would recommend 6mm ACM. I didn't know people were still using Alumacorr anymore. I recall the material often having a wavy looking face. It just always looked so cheap. As ACM became more popular, I saw it as the natural upgrade from Alumacorr.

I understand what you are saying if it was too be mounted on a wall or had some back support (stringers, plywood, etc.) but from what I understand the sign will be "floating" in the grooves...sorta like shaker cabinetry.

This is correct.

I would recommend 6mm ACM. I didn't know people were still using Alumacorr anymore. I recall the material often having a wavy looking face. It just always looked so cheap. As ACM became more popular, I saw it as the natural upgrade from Alumacorr.

This is what I thought but I see a lot of it in existing sign frames and of course that drove my curiosity. I wasn't aware of the wavy appearance though, so that's good to know.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
its a 5 year sign tops. Dont over think things, 6mm acm is fine. Could probably even get by with 3mm with a smaller channel.

So, whatever happened ??

We used 6mm ACM and the city workers made a pretty up to snuff frame to put it in. We had hella high winds rip through here yesterday and it's just fine. It's so ironic that you brought this up because they just got it put up about three weeks ago and I finally got around to driving out to the park to get a photo of it, then came home and saw this post. You stalking me, Gino?

Attachments

• 20200811_180243.jpg
    20200811_180243.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 125

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering, but isn't that sign facing the wrong direction...... home plate is the other way....... or is it double sided ??

So. . . . who is going to paint the posts and not ruin your work??

They should paint them but I don't think they intend to. I had also suggested some decorative finials. They just wanted a 4' x 8' sign, what they do with it from there is ultimately their call, but I'd add some dimensional moldings on the posts, finials on top, and do a matching two or three tone paint scheme if it were up to me.

This was a collaboration between the local DQ franchise and the city recreation department. In exchange for the advertising, the city agreed to build the structure and the DQ generously donated a good chunk of money to restoring the field. They also have a large mesh banner to mount on the fence but they haven't put it up yet because I don't think there was a T-ball season this summer.