• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6x posts

letterman7

This is more an installation question: I've got a client absolutely insistent on placing a 4x6 sign 16' in the air on 6x6 pressure treated posts. I'm getting ready to turn the job down simply because I don't have the equipment to crane the posts into position (though I could sub that part out...). Anyway, has anyone any good suggestions for a substitute for that long a treated post? I had considered aluminum tube if I can find it in the proper dimension so I'm open to alternative suggestions. The sign in question is a 3/4 MDO panel with some carved HDU panels screwed to the face(s), so it will have a bit of weight to it.

Thanks!
Rick

J Hill Designs

have you checked with city reg's to see if that's even permittable? it wouldn't be in my city...if it is, it would need to have a certified engineer check for wind loads, etc.. and stamp it...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You'll be lucky as heck to find 16' posts that are straight.... or remain straight after a few months after being installed.

If this is a permanent sign and you have the permits and Okay from the municipality, I'd suggest steel posts. They come 21' and you can buy used ones in certain areas. You'll need to go down at least 5' into about 2' diameter holes. First pour a footer. When that's dry, set your posts in total concrete and brace them so they don't move. Last you only need an 'A' ladder. If you don;t have that...... next to that would be a bucket truck.

You could attach the sign while the two poles are on the ground, but that would necessitate getting a crane in to lift the poles in perfectly..... and then bracing it.

letterman7

Yep, permissable in the township (that's why they want to do this) and it's a temporary sign of all things! I think it is going to come down to either a steel or aluminum structure, Gino - you're right on that. But I know they won't bite on the price to do that... these are realtors!

Si Allen

Remember ... sometimes it is better to just walk away from a job like this!

The most profitable word that you can learn in this biz is "No!" !

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your installation no matter where you are in the country will cost YOU between $800 and $1,000 to do it right, legal and this is not considered temporary. Tell them to get that word out of their heads if they want it that high. Once you go much over 6' out of the ground.... due to wind shear..... you can't do wood on two single posts alone. You'll need a complete bracing system in place and you'll still be expensive. Any pissed off realtors.... tell them to do it like everyone else and keep it 3' off the ground.

You're not far from me, so I suppose you have virtually the same kind of weather we have here. Ever see the trees blowing in the wind ?? How far are they planted in the ground ?? The only ones you see uprooted are the ones with shallow roots. Now put your sign 16' up and stick 24 square foot of 3/4" wooden sail on it. What do you think is the life expectancy of one or both of those posts without breaking ??

We have signs high in the air, but if they had to be wood they are on 8" x 8" posts.... 24' long. Practically custom made. Those bad boys cost me $350 each many years ago. There still holding up the original signs. We went in the ground about 7 feet. Had some like this up in Schuylkill County on 8" x *' posts. The sign & posts were just removed about a year ago. The store sold out to a developer.

Your cheapest bet is steel.... or keep it close to the ground.

Pat Whatley

If you've got to use wood posts you're gonna be a lot better off finding 20' round posts, you'll get a lot less warping (if any). If you really want to do the work you can install them without renting a lift but it'll take a whole lot of digging and muscle.

Have you mentioned to them that mounting a sign that small, that high, isn't exactly gonna improve visibility?

Of course they're realtors...once you tell them the posts and installation are gonna run $1000 they'll end up with a couple of 10' 4x4 posts.

BROWNDOG

what about telephone poles, you see lots of them used laying around, gotta be able to find a telephone truck with the big auger to drop it in for you, we use to use these for temporary electric on jobsites.

daveb

General Know-it-all
I'm with Si Allen on this one, these type of guys will run you around, drive ya nuts and then go postal when they hear the price. Plus a 4'x6' 20' in the air is going to look like crap and they won't realize until it's up and then say it's your fault! Save yourself the headache.:frustrated:

letterman7

Oh yes, I agree with everyone's statements. I actually fired this client about four years ago for just such acts of lunacy, but one of my other clients, who is a marketing guy, is doing the marketing for this job and wants me onboard. He's aware of the foolishness of the request, and I've already called in to one of my subs to quote a custom built aluminum system that I can simply hang the panels on... if that's what they really want to do (the realtor, that is). Sometimes you just can't talk people out of retardedness...

This will resolve itself one way or another...stay tuned!